Stars (G.W.)

Something about you intrigued him. You didn't know what is what exactly. But he certainly made his feelings for you rather obvious.

You didn't mind so much.

It all started when you were standing outside of a pub in Ottery St. Catchpole on a winter evening. It had stopped snowing about an hour before, and the stars were shining bright in the deep blue sky.

You heard bells jingle behind you and a bit of laughter. Three men appeared beside you, having just finished a few pints, when one of them stopped and peered at you. He pulled his hat over his bright red hair. He glanced once at you, up at the sky, and again at you. "What're you looking at?"

You smiled, not taking your eyes off of the sparkles in the sky. You nodded upward and said, "Just the stars."

"Aren't you cold?"

"Yeah," you admitted, now looking into his eyes. "It's worth it, though. There's nothing quite like a clear sky after a snowfall."

That was it for him.

He was in love with you right then and there.

He knew it when you smiled as you talked about the moon, and when you pulled your hat tighter over your ears. It was your beaming smile, your admiration for the world around you. The sparkly stars reflecting in your eyes.

He just knew.

After that, you very often saw him around town. Talking with him was easy and smooth. You'd gotten to know one another rather quickly, in fact. He always happened to show up wherever you were throughout the village, and you were wondering if this would become the new norm. Not that you minded, really. Having a cute boy bump into you everyday, accidentally or not, wasn't something you ever expected. It was nice.

He sat down next to you one afternoon in a coffee shop when the cool weather had finally broke. The sun was shining and spring was in the air. "Reading? On a day like today?"

You took a sip of your drink and replied, "Can't help it."

He peered down at the book you placed gently on the table, a bookmark poking out of the top slightly. A book on stars, space, the moon, the vast sky—he wondered if this was becoming a pattern with you. He couldn't help but beam as you spoke about your love for it, making his insides go gooey and warm.

And you could feel yourself grow increasingly interested in him, too. In fact, when he finally broke down and told you he was a wizard, your fuzzy, warm crush turned into quite the infatuation. As a non-magical being, magic and wizards was a whole new world to you—one you wouldn't mind exploring. George loved showing you magical things, and he loved it when you introduced him to Muggle things, as he called them.

He brought you to the shop he owned with his twin brother, Fred, and showed you all of their magical pranks and inventions that they'd been working on since a young age. You loved how his eyes lit up when he talked about them. Like a young child's. And they lit up even more when you tested some of them out—for research, you'd told him. He just shook his head in admiration. The two of you fell into fits of giggles.

Diagon Alley, the name of the street where their bustling business was located, was where you recognized just how much you loved him.

You came to be rather fond of that street.

That's where it happened for you. Right there. Right in his shop, watching him interact so animatedly with customers, admiring his passion and his gift.

That was it for you.

When you wandered throughout the place, admiring every single thing on every single shelf, George found himself watching you instead of his customers. He just couldn't help it, and he didn't even care when people caught him. He just couldn't take his eyes off of you.