Fools In Love (F.W.)

Fred felt stupid enough with all of these new customers looking as though they were positively in love with him, as he willingly and very quickly turned each and every one of them down, earning him eye rolls, a bombardment of questions and swift glances at his left ring finger to see if they could get any answers out of him for why he'd been rejecting them, exactly. He didn't feel much like talking. He didn't feel much like doing anything at all. He felt positively dreadful.

Surely, it couldn't have been months since he'd last seen you, could it? But alas, it could. Surviving on letters alone and not much else, you'd planned on visiting him one long weekend at the beginning of your final term at Hogwarts. But when Professor Snape had caught you in the Owlery late one evening after hours, sending yet another letter to Fred, he'd placed you in detention for not only one weekend, but four. A whole bloody month. Hogwarts without Fred was seemingly miserable.

Fred, feeling more on edge than before, had plans for that weekend you'd meant to visit. Not just any plans, like showing you his and George's new artwork for the shop, their new apartment just above it, their inventions that they'd just designed and were getting ready to market and sell after placing on the last finishing touches. It was the first time he'd be seeing you in months—more like years, it felt like. He'd wanted it to be special.

George dropped a very large box of Extendable Ears on the shop desk, took one out, and held it up to the bare spot where his missing ear should be. He grinned at Fred and said, "What've you said, mate? I can't ear you!" He found himself rather funny, rightfully so, and earned himself a laugh from Fred, who was grateful for the few mere seconds of thoughts not surrounding how much he bloody missed you.

George, before closing up the shop for the evening and heading upstairs to make them both dinner, clapped his brother on the back and told him, "Just a few more weeks, Freddie. Don't look so glum."

Fred didn't sleep that night. Maybe an hour or two. Which didn't help in the morning when the sunshine brought in more customers than he could've imagined; the desolate, colorless street of Diagon Alley was swarmed with people visiting from all over. He barely had any time to collect himself and discuss the day's endeavors with George—each of them were pulled in separate directions with hungry customers itching to get their hands on any and all Weasley products, even those that hadn't hit shelves yet. Fred grinned cheekily at his twin from across their very busy store. Suppose his day could be looking up.

A few hours into it, and he reckoned he shouldn't have spoken so soon. Not only had he nearly fallen off of a ladder reaching for something on the highest shelf (his wand was upstairs in his bedroom; not a great place for it) and caught himself on the front desk at the very last minute, earning a sharp pain in his ankle, he'd also needed to stop a few individuals from sneaking out without paying for their items, only to then be followed around by a girl who wouldn't leave him alone and a very angry bloke who did nothing but complain and yell about how his pygmy puff wasn't changing colors throughout the day (it wasn't supposed too).

When the shop was finally empty and he had a chance to sit and actually feel the pain radiating from his feet up through his legs, he pulled at his hair and yanked off his tie; he was absolutely bloody exhausted and was not at all looking forward to the fact that he and George still needed to restock the shelves before the weekend's end. Luckily, though, he'd been able to slip away and grab his wand.. should make things a bit easier.

George emerged from the storage closet wearing a very cheeky grin, and it only seemed to deepen when Fred frowned. "What're you so happy about?" he asked, unbuttoning his vest and throwing it haphazardly over the countertop.

"Bad day, Freddie?"

"Bloody hell," Fred replied, letting his head fall into his hands. He frowned again, about to explode, but rethought his choice of words, "Not bad, per se, just—long. But I reckon that comes with the business eh?"