Dance With Me (F.W.)

The foggy, wet streets of the city were unappealing compared to the very comforting, open landscape next to the Burrow. The very last thing that Fred and George had wanted to do was follow their two eldest brothers in the frigid, rainy weather to some silly Muggle party in central London.

Especially Fred.

He didn't want to be forced out of the one place that made him somewhat happy, especially when he was still nursing the heartbreak that had been causing him so much unpleasantness.

But they'd obliged, because Charlie had nearly pounced on the two of them about it, and they'd much rather go to this than be forced to sit inside the Burrow with pompous Percy -- although, since the war, he had admittedly gotten better at not being a self-righteous git.

The twins had a ton on their plate; not to mention, Fred wasn't in the mood for any of it. They were dragged out of their business shop by Bill, who was adamant about the fact that they'd both needed a night out, and when they'd tried to persist, telling their eldest brother many times that they had too much to do before the newest shipment of magical inventions came in, Bill had nearly hexed the pair of them, causing them both to shut up almost instantaneously.

But now, as bright, fluorescent lights hit the middle of the room, highlighting you, your smooth and effortless dance moves, and the very lazy grin on your face as you sang along to the booming music in between sips of your drink, Fred wasn't so huffy about being here anymore.

His heartbreak didn't seem so heavy anymore.

At least right now, it didn't.

Admittedly, Bill was right. They really did need a night out. They'd been so bloody busy working that they hadn't even been to the pub in a few weeks' time. Ever since the war, business had seemed to escalate, which was really saying something, considering it was incredibly busy even before all of this had gone down. The two of them hardly ever had a moment to breathe. Which, they supposed, was good for Fred. Kept him occupied, kept his mind at bay. But they reckoned they probably needed to hire some more help. Ron had reluctantly agreed to lend a hand. It was Hermione's idea. A brilliant one, at that.

George thrust a beer frustratingly into his twin's hands. "We've got so much to do, mate."

"Yeah," Fred replied breathlessly, truly not listening to a word George was saying.

Fred Weasley had always had it easy when it came to the ladies. They flocked to him, really. He didn't like to admit it so as not to come off like an entitled prat, but it was true. It was probably due to the fact that he was always making everyone laugh -- something that came equally as easy to him. Perhaps it was his bright red hair that the girls ogled over. Maybe it was his wicked sense of adventure, and the fact that he was always landing himself in questionable situations more often than not. But that was school. He could easily impress those girls at school. He hadn't had too in a while, though. He'd been happily tied up with the same person for years — that is, until he wasn't. Until she'd picked someone else.

This was different, though. This was a Muggle party, in the middle of central London, in someone's sweaty, sticky flat with a bunch of people he didn't know. Fred couldn't do magic here. He couldn't impress someone with his inventions or with his stories about adventure without giving away the fact that he was a from a magical background. He couldn't use his usual tricks in front of all of these Muggles or he'd be in a ton of hot water.

He also couldn't let his very intense vulnerability and his rusty flirting get in the way.

But he wouldn't be Fred Weasley if he didn't try, right?