Just The Girl (G.W.)

The only thing to ever distract George Weasley from his schoolwork has been pranking and mischief; it's always been that way, ever since he was born with his twin by his side. But now, he thinks, watching you across the Great Hall after not having seen you due to a very long summer holiday, mischief might just need to be put on the back burner.

How had he never noticed you in this light before? A thought crosses his mind now: he's been far too preoccupied with creating types of chaotic mischief across the castle. Maybe he needs to rethink his priorities a bit. It's not that he's never thought about girls: hell, he thinks about them nearly all the time. But not like this. He's never been so captivated in his entire life.

Your smile is lighting up nearly the entire Hall; how everyone at every table isn't staring at you is beyond him. George can hardly help himself; his eyes are glued to you. His friends notice this and someone punches him in the arm, earning a sharp yell and a glare from him.

"Ow," he says through gritted teeth after coming back to reality. He groans at what's coming. He then turns to Fred, who's laughing a bit, and says, "You're a right git, you know that?"

"Oi, go over there and talk to her, would you?" Fred suggests, making the entire group of rowdy Gryffindors roar with laughter, "or at least quit the staring—you're making yourself rather obvious, you know."

George feels his throat tighten as he sinks into his seat; next to him, Ron is giggling quietly into his cup of porridge. "Go with the latter, mate—stop looking at her, would you? Merlin! You're going to frighten the poor girl."

He feels his heart begin to pound a bit harder against his ribcage; he hates feeling nervous—probably more than he hates sitting through Potions class. He swallows thickly, turns to his sister and says quietly, "Oi, Gin, you and Luna are friendly with Y/N, right?"

Ginny looks up from her bowl of cereal and nods her head before shooting a cheeky grin at her brother.

"You've spent quite some time with her before then, yeah?"

"Yeah, of course," Ginny replies, taking a swig of her drink, "but so have you, you git. She hangs out with us all the time. You've known one another since your third year."

George frowns. "Yeah, but.. I don't know her nearly as well as you. Always sort of gravitates toward you, doesn't she? She's sort of.. turned off by my pranks a little bit."

"Then stop the pranking," Ginny winks.

George lets out a scoff. "Right. D'you not know me but at all?"

"It's not that she's turned off, George," Ginny tells him and he feels himself relax a bit. She scoops up some more cheerios onto her spoon, "her life just doesn't revolve around pranking people. She's sort of shy. But I promise, she gets a rise out of your mischief."

"She does?"

Ginny rolls her eyes as she entertains the idea that her brother might quite possibly be in love.

"Yeah, she does, so—talk to her then, would you?" Ginny tells her brother, taking a long swig of her drink. "She's on the Hufflepuff team this year! New Chaser, she is. There, already have something to chat about other than pranking, alright?"

You? Quidditch? Girl of his dreams, you are. That aspect excites him. What he's afraid of, he thinks of now, is trying to get you to open up to him. Maybe it won't be as difficult as he thinks, considering you've known one another for quite some time now. A smile tugs at the edges of his lips when he watches your head fall back as you laugh—a laugh he can't hear, but wants too more than anything else.