2. Note to self don't fall off skywalks

I should have been scared

I should have been scared. The skywalk was unsafe, the wind was harsh and kids were screaming but I wasn't.

Well, ok... I may have panicked for a minute.

Fear is death young pup, you never let it control you. Fear is a demon and you kill it by telling yourself you're not scared. I clutch my head.

It like it was about to split in two.

Was that a memory or do I just have people living in my head?

The storm churned into a hurricane. Funnel clouds snaked toward the skywalk like the tendrils of a monster jellyfish.

Kids screamed and ran for the building. The wind snatched away their notebooks, jackets, hats, and backpacks. Jason skidded across the slick floor.

Leo lost his balance and almost toppled over the railing, but Jason grabbed his jacket and pulled him back.

"Go, go, go!" said Coach Hedge.

Piper and Dylan were holding the doors open, herding the other kids inside. Piper's snowboarding jacket was flapping wildly, her dark hair all in her face. She must've been freezing, but she looked calm and confident—telling the others it would be okay, encouraging them to keep moving.

Jason, Leo, Coach Hedge and I ran toward them, but it was like running through quicksand. The wind seemed to fight us, pushing us back.

Dylan and Piper pushed one more kid inside, then lost their grip on the doors. They slammed shut, closing off the skywalk.

Piper tugged at the handles. Inside, the kids pounded on the glass, but the doors seemed to be stuck.

"Dylan, help!" Piper shouted.

Dylan just stood there with an idiotic grin, his Cowboys jersey rippling in the wind, like he was suddenly enjoying the storm.

"Sorry, Piper," he said. "I'm done helping."

What weirdo. I should have hit him when I had the chance.

He flicked his wrist, and Piper flew backward, slamming into the doors and sliding to the skywalk deck.

"Piper!" Jason tried to charge forward, but the wind was against him, and Coach Hedge and I pulled him back.

"Guys," Jason said, "let me go!"

"Jason, Leo, rude girl, stay behind me," the coach ordered. Rude girl? Seriously? Why? "This is my fight. I should've known that was our monster."

"Monster?" I yelled incredulously.

"What?" Leo demanded. A rogue worksheet slapped him in the face, but he swatted it away. "What monster?"