13. Mama bear Jason

When I woke up I was on a cave floor with what I was pretty sure was Jason's windbreaker over me

Next to me, a campfire blazed, turning the air sharp with smoke. Firelight flickered against rock walls. Outside, the wind howled. Snow blew sideways. It might've been day or night. The storm made it too dark to tell.

"Where are we?" Piper asked and instantly I knew "Pikes Peak," I said. "Colorado."

"Traitor's awake." Coach did not seem pleased to see me. I started to move but Jason came running over to stop me.

"Sit! You had me scared to death, you were all Smokey and Coach said that you were dying." He said shrilly sounding like a worried mother and I knew, instinctively, he had sounded like that a lot.

I put my hands up in surrender and grinned at him.

"But that's, what—five hundred miles from Omaha?"

"Something like that," Jason agreed still miffed at me for almost dying. "Lila teleported us here but considering she almost died getting us here, she's not going to be trying that again."

"Why are we here?"

Leo sniffed. "That's what I asked him."

"I guessed." I muttered as my companions stared at me.

Coach Hedge spit out some cudgel splinters. "Aeolus's floating palace should be anchored above us, right at the peak. This is one of his favourite spots to dock."

"Maybe that was it." Jason knit his eyebrows. "I don't know. Something else, too ..."

"The Hunters were heading west," Piper remembered. "Do you think they're around here?"

Jason rubbed his forearm as if the tattoo were bothering him. "I don't see how anyone could survive on the mountain right now. The storm's pretty bad. It's already the evening before the solstice, but we didn't have much choice except to wait out the storm here. We had to give you guys some time to rest before we tried moving."

The wind howling outside the cave unnerved me, there was something out there.

"We have to get you warm." Jason sat next to Piper and held out his arms a little awkwardly. "Uh, you mind if I ..."

"I suppose." Piper said. They were so weird and awkward. Leo and I shared a look and both started to silently laugh at our dorky friends.

Jason put his arms around Piper and held her. They scooted closer to the fire. Coach Hedge chewed on his club and spit splinters into the fire.

I was a little jealous of Piper, not because she was with Jason, I wouldn't touch Jason with a ten-foot pole but because it was all so easy for her. Piper had someone to care about her and love her that was all I wanted.

Leo broke out some cooking supplies and started frying burger patties on an iron skillet. "So, guys, long as you're cuddled up for story time ... something I've been meaning to tell you. On the way to Omaha, I had this dream. Kinda hard to understand with the static and the Wheel of Fortune breaking in—"