22. The war Council

I sat around a ping pong table in the big house

I sat around a ping pong table in the big house. Annabeth and I glared at each other the entire time.

The rec room was chaos.

Clarisse, leader of the Ares cabin, had her boots on the table, but nobody seemed to care. Clovis from Hypnos cabin was snoring in the corner while Butch from Iris cabin was seeing how many pencils he could fit in Clovis's nostrils. Travis who was sat next to me was holding a lighter under a Ping-Pong ball to see if it would burn, and Will Solace from Apollo was absently wrapping and unwrapping an Ace bandage around his wrist.

Will had given me a lecture in the infirmary, it took a lot of convincing to let me come to the meeting and he only let me because he was going to be there.

The counselor from Hecate cabin, Lou Ellen was playing "got-your-nose" with Miranda Gardiner from Demeter, except that Lou Ellen really had magically disconnected Miranda's nose, and Miranda was trying to get it back.

I laughed at the girls before going back to glaring at Annabeth.

Rachel Dare, the oracle, sat next to Chiron at the head of the table. I was still wary of Rachel and now I knew exactly why.

I don't wanna talk about it.

Annabeth was still glaring. She wore armor over her camp clothes, with her knife at her side and her blond hair pulled back in a ponytail.

I knew she shouldn't blame Annabeth but I was an expert in doing things I shouldn't.

"Let's come to order," Chiron said. "Lou Ellen, please give Miranda her nose back. Travis, if you'd kindly extinguish the flaming Ping-Pong ball, and Butch, I think twenty pencils is really too many for any human nostril. Thank you. Now, as you can see, Jason, Piper, Leo and Lila have returned successfully... more or less. Some of you have heard parts of their story, but I will let them fill you in."

Everyone looked at Jason. He cleared his throat and began the story. Piper and Leo chimed in from time to time, filling in the details he forgot.

I didn't say anything, I just made a popping noise while I continuously glared at Annabeth.

It only took a few minutes. The silence was heavy except for the popping. Jason ended with Hera's visit right before the meeting.

"So Hera was here," Annabeth said. "Talking to you."

Jason nodded. "Look, I'm not saying I trust her—"

"That's smart," Annabeth said.

"—but she isn't making this up about another group of demigods. That's where I came from. Where Lila came from."

I just hummed. "Home..." I trailed off, not really knowing where home was.

"Romans." Clarisse tossed Seymour a Sausage. "You expect us to believe there's another camp with demigods, but they follow the Roman forms of the gods. And we've never even heard of them."