9. Falling to my death seems to be a regular occurrence

I woke up to see I was tumbling through the sky

I woke up to see I was tumbling through the sky. Far below I saw city lights glimmering in the early dawn, and several hundred yards away the body of the bronze dragon spinning out of control, its wings limp, fire flickering in its mouth like a badly wired lightbulb.

Maybe I should let myself fall. Maybe that was fate's punishment for my crimes. Maybe I deserved to die.

A body shot past me— Leo, screaming and frantically grabbing at the clouds. "Not coooooool!"

I then realised I couldn't let myself die, my companions needed me.

Somewhere above me, Jason yelled, "Piper, level out! Extend your arms and legs!"

I looked up to see Piper falling through the sky.

Thank god. But part of me also thought: Great. He's going to save his lady love and leave me and Leo to die.

"We have to get them!" Piper shouted.

I spread my arms and legs with my eyes closed. Suddenly I felt an arm wrap around my waist and instantly I gripped around Jason's neck.

And then, thump! We slammed into another warm body—Leo, still wriggling and cursing.

"Stop fighting!" Jason said. "It's me!"

"My dragon!" Leo yelled. "You gotta save Festus!"

Jason was already struggling to keep the four of us aloft, and I knew no one could just carry Festus through the sky. But before I could try to reason with Leo, I heard an explosion below us. A fireball rolled into the sky from behind a warehouse complex, and Leo sobbed, "Festus!"

I felt like crying. It was just a hunk of metal and for some odd reason, I got attached.

Jason's face reddened with strain as he tried to maintain an air cushion beneath them, but intermittent slow-downs were the best he could manage. Rather than free-falling, it felt like we were bouncing down a giant staircase, a hundred feet at a time.

As we wobbled and zigzagged, Jason groaned "I can't-"

And we dropped like stones.

We hit the roof of the largest warehouse and crashed through into darkness.

Fortunately, I knew to roll instead of landing on my feet but unfortunately when I rolled a loud crack came from my wrist. "Crap... holy sh-OWW!"

In hindsight I probably shouldn't have yelled so loudly but how was I supposed to know I'm not a child of Apollo.

Piper had landed next to me with a loud thud and a groan.

"Piper? You ok?" I was worried for the little daughter of Aphrodite.

"No... I landed on my feet. I think I broke my ankle." Just great! I had a broken wrist, Piper had a broken ankle and the boys were nowhere in sight.

Then I heard Jason's voice somewhere below, echoing through the building. "Piper! Lila! Where are the girls?"