20. Jason does a Jesus

I backed away shaking with grief and anger

This wasn't happening. He promised he wouldn't leave.

Thalia glared up at the goddess. "This is your fault. Do something!"

"Do not address me that way, girl. I am the queen—"

"Fix him!" I demanded and with so much anger that they all jumped.

My anger was infectious. Hera's eyes flickered with power. "I did warn him. I would never intentionally hurt the boy. He was to be my champion. I told them to close their eyes before I revealed my true form."

"Um ..." Leo frowned. "True form is bad, right? So why did you do it?"

"I unleashed my power to help you, fool!" Hera cried. "I became pure energy so I could disintegrate the monsters, restore this place, and even save these miserable Hunters from the ice."

"But mortals can't look upon you in that form!" Thalia shouted. "You've killed him!"

Leo shook his head in dismay. "That's what our prophecy meant. Death unleash, through Hera's rage. Come on, lady. You're a goddess. Do some voodoo magic on him! Bring him back."

"No!" I said defiantly. "Give him a minute, he's just being a drama queen. He's not dead. He can't be dead." My voice cracked and Leo wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"He's breathing!" Piper announced and I laughed. "Ha! Told you!"

"Impossible," Hera said. "I wish it were true, child, but no mortal has ever—"

"Shut up! Pipes, wake him up." I began to pace as Piper used her charm speak to wake Jason up.

At first it didn't work.

"Jason," Piper said again with more conviction. "Wake up."

He gasped, and his eyes flew open. For a moment they were full of light—glowing pure gold. Then the light faded and his eyes were normal again. "What—what happened?"

"Impossible!" Hera said.

I raced to his side wrapping my arms around his neck whispering the ways I would killed him if ever did something like that again, "Crushing me."

"Moron," I laughed while wiping a tears from my eyes.

Thalia gripped her brother's hand. "How do you feel?"

"Hot," he muttered. "Mouth is dry. And I saw something... really terrible."

"That was Hera," Thalia grumbled. "Her Majesty, the Loose Cannon."

"That's it, Thalia Grace," said the goddess. "I will turn you into an aardvark, so help me—"

An aardvark? Why?

"Stop it, you two," Piper said. Amazingly, they both shut up.

I helped Jason to his feet and gave him the last nectar from my supply pack.