15. I've never liked weather men

Everyone was in a mood

Everyone was in a mood. The only ones who seemed remotely okay were me and Coach Hedge.

Hedge kept bounding up the slippery staircase and trotting back down. "Come on, cupcakes! Only a few thousand more steps!"

I was filled with a sudden burst of energy and began to hop up the steps. I didn't know why I had so much energy considering an hour ago I was contemplating throwing myself off a cliff.

Piper joined me on the steps and we came to a silent understanding. I was no longer angry at her but Piper was most definitely not forgiven.

Finally, we arrived at the top of the island. Bronze walls marched all the way around the fortress grounds, who in their right mind would attack this place? Twenty-foot-high gates opened for them, and a road of polished purple stone led up to the main citadel—a white-columned rotunda, Greek style, like one of the monuments in Washington, D.C.—except for the cluster of satellite dishes and radio towers on the roof.

"That's bizarre," Piper said.

"Guess you can't get cable on a floating island," Leo said. "Dang, check this guy's front yard."

I pulled a face and turned to Leo. "We could be facing certain doom and you care about cable?" I looked around and saw something truly terrifying.

I let out a blood-curdling scream. "What?" Everyone began to get out their weapons but all I could do was point.

"Oh, come on!" Leo groaned and everyone put away their weapons.

The beast turned in my direction and I jumped back behind Jason.

"Jason, it's looking at me." I whimpered.

Jason sighed. "Yeah, I got it. Shoo, go on, shoo." The monstrous animal flew away.

"You're afraid of birds?" Leo said laughing so I punched him in the shoulder.

"Shut up." I muttered.

"I'm just confused, you're a badass and you're afraid of birds?" Leo continued as we walked through the courtyard.

"Yes, I'm afraid of birds but Jason's afraid of girls, bugs, boats and he can't swim. Make fun of him."

Jason made a little whiny noise and I chuckled lightly.

"You can't swim either." Jason mumbled like a little child.

"You two are pathetic." Coach said, making me glare at him.

I kept walking on high alert there could be more birds around.

The rotunda sat in the centre of a quarter-mile circle. The grounds were amazing in a scary way. They were divided into four sections like big pizza slices, each one representing a season.

"I'm starving." I groaned. Everyone ignored me.

"One section for each of the four wind gods," Jason said. "Four cardinal directions."