11. Let me teach you how to break into a mansion

I relaxed for the first time since Mars came to visit

I relaxed for the first time since Mars came to visit. I sat behind Leo enjoying the quiet, of course, the voices in my head were still there but they weren't as loud.

"We're going to have to put down soon," Leo told them. "Couple more hours, maybe, to make sure Medea's not following us. I don't think Festus can fly much longer than that."

"Oh, Medea definitely isn't following us." I told them about how I killed Medea. Surprisingly they didn't look at me any differently. "Oh, I can also teleport and trust me when I say it isn't as fun as it sounds."

"Coach Hedge probably wants to get out of his canary cage, too. The question is—where are we going?" Piper asked before focusing back on me, "You can teleport?"

I nodded smiling.

"The Bay Area," Leo guessed. I remembered Medea mentioning Piper's dad. "Didn't Medea say something about Oakland?"

Piper didn't respond for a long time, what was Piper hiding?

"Piper's dad," Jason put in. "Something's happened to your dad, right? He got lured into some kind of trap."

Piper let out a shaky breath. "Look, Medea said you would all die in the Bay Area. And besides ... even if we went there, the Bay Area is huge! First, we need to find Aeolus and drop off the storm spirits. Boreas said Aeolus was the only one who could tell us exactly where to go."

Leo grunted. "So how do we find Aeolus?"

Jason leaned forward. "You mean you don't see it?" He pointed ahead of them, but Lila didn't see anything except clouds and the lights of a few towns glowing in the dusk.

"What?" Leo asked. "That ... whatever it is," Jason said. "In the air."

Leo glanced back. He looked just as confused as me was.

"Right," Leo said. "Could you be more specific on the 'whatever-it-is' part?"

"Like a vapour trail," Jason said. "Except it's glowing. Really faint, but it's definitely there. We've been following it since Chicago, so I figured you saw it."

"Jason, I don't mean to be rude but have you gone insane? Have you hit your head one too many times?" I asked staring out in front of me looking for the invisible vapour trail.

Leo shook his head. "Maybe Festus can sense it. You think Aeolus made it?"

"Well, it's a magic trail in the wind," Jason said. "Aeolus is the wind god. I think he knows we've got prisoners for him. He's telling us where to fly."

"Or it's another trap," Piper said. I nodded. Even if it was pessimistic things going wrong seemed to be a running theme.

Her tone worried me. She didn't just sound cautious, she sounded broken with despair like we'd already sealed our fate and like it was her fault. I knew Piper was hiding something but I was also hiding things.