16. Aphrodite's make over

Lila woke up at a table at a side walk café, dressed very oddly

It was a sunny morning. The air was brisk but nice for sitting outside. At the other tables, a mix of bicyclists, business people, and college kids sat chatting and drinking coffee.

Lila felt like she had been there her before. The smell of eucalyptus trees drifted through the air with gave Lila a stabbing pain of familiarity.

They had made it to California.

"What?" Hedge demanded. "Fight who? Where?"

"Falling!" Leo grabbed the table. "No—not falling. Where are we?"

"No dipshit we're sitting." Lila said slowly oddly irritable. Looking down Lila found herself sat in a old Phillies jersey, denim shorts, a pair of white vans and apparently her hair was a brighter shade of Auburn than naturally and had been curled to perfection.

Patting her pockets Lila found her sword/Map and the newspaper Aeolus gave her.

Jason focused on Piper which made Lila smirk and he made a little choking sound. "What are you wearing?"

Piper blushed. She was wearing the turquoise dress with black leggings and black leather boots. "It's nothing," she said. "It's my—" She said before hesitating "It's nothing."

Leo grinned. "Aphrodite strikes again, huh? You're gonna be the best-dressed warrior in town, beauty queen."

"Hey, Leo." Jason nudged his arm. "You look at yourself recently?"

"What ... oh."

Lila rolled her eyes. Leo was wearing pinstriped pants, black leather shoes, a white collarless shirt with suspenders, and his tool belt, Ray-Ban sunglasses, and a porkpie hat.

"God, Leo." Piper tried not to laugh. "I think my dad wore that to his last premiere, minus the tool belt."

"Hey, shut up!"

"You're dressed like a grandpa." Lila chuckled at the disgusted look on Leo's face.

"I think he looks good," said Coach Hedge. "'Course, I look better."

Aphrodite had given him a baggy canary yellow zoot suit with two-tone shoes that fit over his hooves. He had a matching yellow broad-brimmed hat, a rose-colored shirt, a baby blue tie, and a blue carnation in his lapel, which Hedge sniffed and then ate.

"Well," Jason said, "at least your mom overlooked me."

Lila knew that wasn't true. Jason was dressed simply in jeans and a clean purple T-shirt, like he'd worn at the Grand Canyon. He had new track shoes on, and his hair was newly trimmed. Aphrodite's message was clear: This one needs no improvement.

And Lila agreed.

Wait, no She didn't! "Fuck you brain." She whispered to herself.