Chapter 44: Thoughts of Home

Paul sighed as he stared through the library's windows from the chair, mind too occupied to play the old guitar that was resting next to the silent fireplace.

He stared at the many trees outside, along with the many dead bushes and dry patches of dirt that could be seen from that window alone.

John sat across from him, a book held in his grasp as he once again tried to make sense of the scribbling within.

"So um... what does this... say again?" He asked quietly, pausing to think over his decision to voice his confusion.

Paul glanced back at him for a moment.

"That's the same book you read from the other day, remember? Are you on the page I asked you to turn to?"

"Uh..." John's eyes quickly went to the corner of the page.

"Maybe?"

John looked at Paul with a smile, trying to get himself out of the small trouble that he was setting himself up for sure enough.

Paul said nothing as he once again turned his head to stare through the window, seeing the last sparse piles of snow melting as the sun peaked through the clouds.

Nothing but silence resonated in the library for a moment, John closing the book and setting it down on the floor.

After a moment, John took notice to the fact that Paul was still staring out the window.

"Nice... weather out there, I guess thou could say?"

The bassist did not respond to the question, instead continuing to stare out through the glass.

John shifted in his seat, not sure what to say next to lighten the air of awkwardness that had descended upon the room.

Paul shook his head, still facing the window.

"I"m just thinking."

"Thinking... about what?"

John sat back, thankful that Paul hadn't decided to talk about his literacy skills that still needed much work.

"Home..."

Paul turned his head a little to glance at the prince.

"Now, don't take that the wrong way. I'm not saying that I want to leave today, but..."

He sighed, turning back to face his view of the outside world.

"I'm just wondering how my family's doing. I wonder if..."

A moment of silence made John tilt his head.

"If what?"

"I... I just had a thought..."

Paul turned around and sat back in his chair, staring at the ceiling.

"What if my dad... thinks I just ran away?"

"Well... I am sure that he is still okay."

The bassist shook his head a little at that.

"I'm not sure that he would be. He was a drinker before this, and Mike's probably doing all he can to comfort him right now, even though I know for a fact that my dad doesn't believe his story of me ending up here."

John thought back for a moment.

"Hey uh, remember when you told me of this... man who thou called Pete, right after we both sang that... that lovely song of yours?"

Paul smiled at the comment, but quickly froze when he remembered the drummer in question.

"Oh, right... On the one hand, I am happy that I'm finally in a place where he can't find me. On the other hand-"

"Happy?"

John leaned forward, hoping that he was just looking too much into the bassist's words.

"And... I remember thou telling me that thy relationship was... bumpy, but... bumpy how?"

Paul turned his head to the side.

"I uh... It's a... touchy subject. All you need to know is that... He's one of those people that think that he can get away with anything because of his position."

John's eyes went wide with worry.

"Did... did he-"

"N-now don't get too worked up. I already told you that we never went that far, and he didn't try anything beyond words and gossip, I swear."

"O-oh... okay."

As John relaxed, Paul sighed and shook his head.

"Anyway, who knows what he's doing now that I've disappeared. Maybe he moved on or is harassing my family because... because of some stupid reason or whatever."

"Well, I am sure that he hast moved on by now, or at least has been punched in the face once by either of thy relatives."

Paul chuckled.

"If that's the case, then I would have liked to have seen it myself."

Sighing, he leaned back and closed his eyes, basking in the comfortable silence.

"Either way, I just hope that my dad and brother won't have even more trouble to deal with..."