Chapter 25: Opening Up

Mike swallowed a lump in his throat as he quietly walked down the steps, hearing that the television downstairs was not set at a high volume as he expected it to be.

Once the living room came into view, he slowly turned his gaze to James, who sat in the recliner, staring blankly at the screen.

The sunlight coming in through the windows was the only light in the room, for James had not bothered to turn on the light himself.

Mike sighed and slowly walked toward the sofa next to the recliner, sitting on one of the cushions as his gaze fell to the ground.

"So..." He started quietly.

"You... alright?"

James did not answer, instead continuing to stare at the television screen.

"Yes," He answered after a moment, his voice cold.

Mike was silent for a moment.

He sighed.

"Dad... Listen. I know that you're still upset over what happened... last night."

James did not say anything in response, prompting Mike to continue.

"I uh... Do you... are you feeling alright? About yourself?"

Silence.

"Be honest. I'll understand."

James sighed heavily, focusing his gaze on the hardwood floor.

"N-no..." He muttered under his breath.

Mike swallowed, tapping his fingers on the sofa's armrest.

"I... I know you're still sad about... what happened to mom."

"Y-you... You still miss her too, right?"

James turned his head to stare at his son, making Mike shrink back a bit.

"O-of course I do. We all do."

His father said nothing in response for a moment, instead turning his head to stare blankly at the wall.

"At least t-that's one thing that he doesn't disappoint in..."

Knowing who he was talking about, Mike sat straight up, now knowing exactly what to talk about.

"Tell me, why don't you support him?"

James kept his gaze on the wall.

"I..."

He sighed.

"I just don't want him to... try so hard with his career, only to end up being a huge failure..."

Mike blinked.

"Is this because you think that he can't beat Rory Storm and The Hurricanes?"

"Not exactly, but... there's no way he can even come close to them at this rate. And..."

A tear began to form in James's eye as he kept his head turned toward the wall.

"I... I still care a-about him. I d-don't want him to... to stay this b-blind to reality. And now, b-because..."

He paused, slowly turning his head to face Mike, allowing the tear to roll down his face.

"He ran off... b-because of m-me..."

Mike stayed silent, not wanting to correct him.

"M-Mike... there's s-something that I need t-to tell you..." James said after a moment, his gaze dropping to the floor.

"What?"

"S-something happened yesterday..."

Mike leaned over on the sofa, eyes wide.

"Rory and his b-band came here, and..."

James sighed.

"I... I made a deal with him that... If Paul d-didn't join them, then I would k-kick him... out..."

"What!?"

James flinched, clenching his teeth.

"Dad, you know how such a pain Pete can be! You know how much Paul hates him!"

"I k-know that..."

James put his hands together in his lap, now feeling guilty.

"But... I w-was still angry and... I d-didn't think about... a-about what he w-wanted..."

He wiped the tear from his cheek, another one rolling down.

"And... N-now that P-Paul's gone... I... O-only know do I realize... h-how much I messed up..."

Slowly, Mike stood up, walking over to James, who suppressed an oncoming whimper.

Mike patted his head gently.

"It's alright..."

"I-It's not..."

James took in a deep breath to calm himself.

"M-Mary told me t-to take care o-of you two... I f-failed her dying w-wish..."

He sat up, placing his head in his hands as he let out a whimper.

Mike rested his hand on his back.

"Do you... want me to help you go upstairs? You need some rest..."

James raised his head up, staring at his son.

"Y-yes..."

Slowly, the pair stood up, Mike keeping his distraught father in a tight embrace.

"I w-wish I h-had never made that d-deal..." James whispered to himself.

Mike took a step forward, making James take a step forward as well.

"You can tell them that later, for now... you just need to get yourself together..."

"T-thank you..."