Chapter 3: Surprise Visit

Paul and Mike had only just walked onto the porch when a familiar voice split through the silence.

"Ah, the McCartney brothers. How wonderful it is to see you."

Turning his head away, Paul crossed his arms.

"What do you want, Pete?"

Pete chuckled.

"Oh, I was just walking by and, well, you two happened to come out, I just want to see how my love is doing."

Mike looked away nervously, knowing too well what he was talking about.

"Listen Pete," Paul started, turning his head back to face the drummer.

"You know we're over."

Pete just chuckled in response, putting his hands together behind his back as he stood in front of the porch steps, staring up at the bassist.

"Oh really? I seem to recall that you said that you were open to... Reevaluation, should I say? Come on Paulie, you know I'm a good man."

Paul grunted in response, turning away from him once more.

"Why, my family at least appreciates what I do. Not only that, but I am quite appreciated around here you know."

Pete chuckled.

"After all, best is me last name, is it not?"

Mike shook his head.

"Listen, can you just leave us alone? We were going to do stuff tonight."

"Oh, like what?" Pete asked, curious.

"Oh, let me guess. You two finally decided to see if that old legend about the castle in the woods is true? Well, must I tell you, no one has ever gone deep into those woods."

The drummer sighed and stared back at Paul again, who glared at him.

"Aw, Paulie, I didn't mean to upset you."

"I really don't appreciate you being here Pete!"

Pete took a step back, suprised.

"Ay, I really didn't mean all those things I said about your mother and brother. Aside from your father, your family's great."

Pete chuckled again, eyes sliding over Paul's form.

"Say Paul... Have I ever told you how feminine you look with that strange haircut?"

Paul blushed, eyes going wide in response.

"W-what did you say?"

"Don't worry. I think you look marvelous."

Pete casted a warm smile at the bassist.

"You always have, you know. I like your attempts at trying to become a big name in this town Paul, but refusing to get back with me is only going to make the public look down on you."

Paul shook his head, blush going away as he crossed his arms again.

"I will find success one day. It just hasn't happened yet."

"Oh, I'm not so sure, but I can bring it to you in a heartbeat if you so please."

The bassist gritted his teeth.

"I also don't appreciate the little comments you make about me behind my back."

Pete backed away, as if he was struck by Paul's words.

"Why Paulie, they were nothing more than jokes. I don't see the problem with you looking a little too feminine for a man."

The blush returned to Paul's cheeks as he glared at the drummer.

"Just go away. I don't want to see you right now."

"But Paulie, why would you not want to be with me? The most successful man in Liverpool?"

Mike stepped forward, glaring down at the drummer before him as Paul turned his head over to him.

"Listen you! What my brother says goes. Now, get lost!"

Pete stared up at the two for a moment, squinting his eyes a bit in thought.

Eventually, he sighed heavily.

"Fine then. See how long you can last without me before you come crawling back this time Paul. But..."

He blew a kiss at the bassist.

"I will always be willing to... Take you as my husband. Remember that."

With a wink, Pete turned and walked back onto the sidewalk, walking away from the house while whistling a tune.

Once he was gone, Paul shook his head and sighed.

"He bugs me a lot too," he stated as Mike turned to look at him.

"I can see why," Mike said in response, "he seems way too egocentric for my liking."

Paul looked at the soars leading down to the ground.

"So... Still in the mood for some exploring?"

"Of course I am," Mike stated excitedly.

"Some cocky person like Pete isn't going to bring me down!"

Paul chuckled at his statement.

"Same for me brother. Same for me."