Chapter 54: In the Distance

"What is going on here!?" George shouted as he quickly hopped down the stairs towards the barking step stool.

Martha faced the windows that faced out to the front the castle as she continued barking loudly.

Cynthia, Julian, and Pattie followed close behind him.

"Is there a squirrel outside again?" George asked as the step stool quieted down.

Martha turned to him and did her best to shake her head.

The candlestick looked up at the window and sighed heavily.

"Now, how am I supposed to get up there?"

"I will help," Cynthia said, hopping forward.

"Julian, get on my back."

The little teacup blinked and nodded, hopping on top of the teapot, balancing on the lid.

Pattie hopped onto the pair and stood as tall as she could, looking down at George.

George climbed up and delicately balanced himself on top of the wooden part of the feather duster beneath him.

The tower wobbled, and George tilted forward and pushed against the wall with his golden arms.

"See anything?" Cynthia asked, trying not to move under the weight.

George looked up at the windowsill that was just above him.

"I cannot see-"

Bark

Martha went up next to the tower and landed on her side.

George hopped up onto the wooden leg, keeping in mind where it started and ended, and jumped up towards the windowsill.

His golden arms rested on the edge as he pulled himself up just enough to see through the glass.

"So?" Pattie asked.

George squinted his eyes to see through the trees and plants.

"I... I see..."

His eyes went wide.

"Light?"

Martha began barking wildly again as she ran back and forth through the large room.

"Light?" Cynthia asked as the teacup and feather duster got off of her.

"But how? It is nighttime," Pattie asked in confusion.

George focused his vision on the light that came through the forest.

Dark figures began to come into sight as the light grew closer.

Bang

George fell back as a bullet came flying through the glass, the shards scattering all around the floor.

"W-what is happening!?" Pattie shouted.

"There art... I saw shadows, there is a mob!"

"A... A mob?" Cynthia asked, wide-eyed.

Julian began hopping backwards.

"Momma, I am scared..."

"What is going on?"

George turned to stare at the clock that stood at the bottom of the stairs.

"There is a mob out there!"

"A what!?" Ringo shouted, heading towards the castle's main door that stood shut.

George rushed over to him and held him back.

"We need a plan. We need a barricade," George told him.

"And then what!? It hast been centuries since we last step foot out there! They probably have the tech to... to burst through that with no issue!"

"I do not know," George responded, looking around him.

"Oh, I knew it! How much do thou want to bet that Paul went out and told everyone?? Pattie suggested, hopping towards the pair.

George shook his head.

"No, he would not do that."

"Then how do thou explain the massacre approaching!?" Ringo shouted, beginning to pant.

"We art all going to die! Run for thy lives!"

The clock began to run all around the room.

Martha continued to sprint and bark.

Pattie began rambling.

Julian stood close to Cynthia, shaking as he sought protection from the porcelain.

George took in a deep breath.

"QUIET!"

Pattie shut her mouth and jumped back a little.

Ringo and Martha stopped in their tracks and looked towards the candlestick.

George sighed.

"Okay, I... I hast a plan. We go around the castle, telling every object of the mob. The larger ones form a barricade as the rest of us hide in plain sight."

"And then what!?" Ringo shouted in concern.

George set his candles on fire.

The flames grew and burned, rising into the air.

As they began to reach the ceiling, they shrunk back and were put out.

George looked at each object in turn.

"Well, if it is trouble that they want..."

He grinned set just one candle on fire, moving it so that the dim light of the tiny flame lit up his face as if he was telling a scary story.

"Then, it is trouble that they shall get."