Chapter 24: A Melody

"So... If I remember from earlier, thou know how to... play that?"

John's gaze ran over the expansive bookshelves as Paul, who sat in the chair across from him, the fire place blazing all the while.

Paul fiddled with the old guitar for a moment, trying to tune the strings as best he could.

"Well, I'm used to playing more..."

He took in a breath.

"Modern... ones, but this won't be a problem."

John swallowed, focusing his gaze on the floor.

"Does thou sing too?"

"Yes. I... take it that-"

"I... I  did use to sing as well, but..."

John groaned.

"It has been... over a century... since I last did it."

Paul nodded, holding the guitar properly as he nervously stared at John.

"Do you... want me to play one of..."

He paused.

"M-my songs?"

John raised his head up.

"Why, yes. What is the harm?"

"It's just that... well, I already told you about how the town-"

"No need to worry about that here," John said, making Paul shrink back a little.

Noticing his movement, John looked down at the floor again, the heat from the fireplace making him feel more uncomfortable.

"I uh... I would like to hear what thou can do. Please?"

Paul sighed and looked down at the guitar, preparing himself.

"Okay, but... I'm not so sure if you'll... um..."

"Just show me," John answered in a soft voice, raising his gaze to look at Paul.

After a moment, Paul took in a breath and starting to strum.

"C-close your eyes, a-and I'll kiss you. Tomorrow, I'll m-miss you."

John's eyes widened as he listened to Paul sing, seeing how skilled he was at playing the small guitar.

"R-remember I'll always be true. A-and then, while I'm away, I'll w-write home e-every day, and I'll s-send all my lovin' t-to you."

Paul avoided looking up at John as he continued, for he was too nervous to see his reaction.

"I-I'll pretend that I'm kissing, t-the lips I am missing, a-and hope that my d-dreams will come true."

Slowly, a smile began to form on John's face.

"A-and then, while I'm away, I-I'll write home every d-day, And I'll s-send all my lovin' to you."

Paul glanced up at John, only to see the small smile that he wore.

"A-all my lovin', I w-will send to you. All m-my lovin', darlin', I'll be true."

John leaned forward a little, amazed at what was going on in front of him.

"Close y-your eyes and I'll kiss you-"

"T-tomorrow I'll m-miss you."

Paul's eyes widened as John began to sing along with him. Though it was clear that John wasn't used to it, the sound of his voice, like his own, was soothing.

"Remember I'll always be true."

They both sang the line together, and, as the song continued, they both continued their duet.

"And then while I'm away, I'll write home every day, and I'll send all my loving to you."

A light blush slowly formed on Paul's cheeks.

"All my lovin', I will send to you, All my lovin', darlin', I'll be true, All my lovin', all my lovin'."

John and Paul both looked into each other's eyes as they sang the final line.

"Ooh ooh, all my lovin', I will send to you."

After they finished the line, Paul stopped strumming, letting the guitar lay in his lap.

"Why... that was..."

John paused for a moment, making Paul's eyes widen even more.

"T-that was..."

He smiled.

"All of those town folks must be crazy! That was the greatest thing I hast heard in... in almost three hundred years!"

Paul let out a small giggle.

"Well, for someone who has stayed in this castle for a long time, I can see why you're excited."

"I cannot see why thou art not big yet."

The bassist sighed, putting the guitar down on the floor, staring out the large window on the wall.

"Yeah, well... I suppose that I was just born in the wrong town."

He looked back at John, frowning.

"Besides, this band by the name of Rory Storm and the Hurricanes is already much more successful than I could ever hope to be..."

"Now, do not say that. There might still be a chance for thou."

"Maybe, but..."

Paul shook his head and grunted.

"I uh... I have been in a... pretty bumpy relationship with their drummer."

"Who is the drummer?"

"Pete Best."

Paul rolled his eyes.

"But trust me, he certainly isn't the best."

"Oh..." John said quietly.

"How long hast thou two been... seeing each other?"

"We... I have been getting away from him from time to time, but I think we've officially ended things now. He... He is very egocentric."

"Ego... what?" John asked after a moment.

"He only thinks about himself and people that are just as big as him. He has a very mean mouth."

John nodded, showing Paul that he understood.

"Well... hast thou two ever-"

"No." Paul answered instantly.

"We've... kissed before, but that's the furthest we got."

A few feet away from them, peeking around the door leading to the large library, George and Ringo both watched on, still taking in the song they had just heard.

"Why... your highness actually..." George trailed off, slowly turning to face Ringo, all three of his candles unlit.

Ringo smiled.

"Seems like he is finally softening up."