Chapter 49: Set Free

The night sky sparkled with stars as Paul stared upwards at them.

John sat next to him, putting an arm around the bassist in order to protect him from the air that he knew had to still be cold.

The ground was bare of snow, for it had all melted, but John knew that if it was cold enough to snow not too long ago, it could still be cold enough for it to snow again soon.

His fur did help a lot in order to keep himself from feeling just how cold it was.

Paul thought back to when they were having a snowball fight with each other in the courtyard.

It was a fun time indeed, but...

"Paul?"

"Yes?" Paul asked, turning to stare at John as he brought a hand up to grasp the paw that was big enough to hold his arm.

"Do..."

John paused for a moment, feeling the nervousness return.

He shook his head and pulled Paul closer.

"Do Thou... Like it here? W-with me?"

Paul smiled at him and came closer, snuggling up to him as John leaned back a little in surprise.

"Yes, I do..."

Relieved, John sighed and stared up at the moon that brightly shined in the sky.

Paul glanced up at him before focusing his eyes on the ground around them.

In this quiet, peaceful moment, long and distant memories came back to his mind, and he could not stop himself from thinking about his home.

When John lowered his gaze, he noticed Paul staring blankly at the grass.

"Is something wrong?" He asked softly, not wanting to ruin the moment.

"No... not really anyway," Paul replied quietly.

John could tell that he was lying.

"Paul, thou know that thou can tell me anything. Is there something... bothering thou?"

Paul sighed heavily.

"I'm just... Thinking about things, that's all."

"Thinking about what kind of things?"

A moment of silence.

John slightly tightened his grip on Paul.

The bassist stared up at him.

"My family... Back home..."

John blinked.

"Oh, that is all?"

"Yes," Paul responded, lowering his head back down and going back to stare at the grass.

"Actually..."

John smiled, pausing.

"I may hast just the thing for that."

Paul stared back up at him, raising an eyebrow.

"And what do you mean by that?"

"Oh, thou will see."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paul sat down on the old wooden chair, watching as the rose suspended within the glass sparkled.

John stood in front of him and motioned to the small mirror that laid upon the table, sitting next to the glass container.