Chapter 29: Guidance

Paul sighed as he sat down at the table, John sitting across from him as his gaze focused on the ancient tablecloth.

"So... about yesterday..." Paul started, turning his head up to look at John, who avoided his gaze.

"Yeah... um..."

John shook his head.

"At least... I..."

Slowly, he locked his eyes on Paul, only to look away in an instant.

"I... am touched... that... thou understands what... what I've been through."

"Well, I can't imagine being locked up in a castle for almost 300 years, but I do know how you must have felt before that night happened."

Before John could respond, a cart came rolling out from the kitchen, the door being pushed open in the process.

Ringo pushed the cart over to the table and looked up at the pair.

"I hope thou two are feeling fine today."

"Yeah, we are," Paul said, even though he knew that it was a lie.

George, who had been resting on the table between John and Paul, hopped over to the edge of the table, watching as Paul grabbed an apple.

"So... all there is to eat here is apples and..."

Paul paused.

"Well... I think I'll just stick to apples, if any of you don't mind."

He reached over to the cart and passed a plate and another apple to John, who stared down at them with a blank expression.

Paul stared at the apple for a moment, trying to think about what he should say next.

"Um... where's Martha?" He asked after a moment, staring down at the clock on the floor.

"My wife must be holding her back this time," Ringo replied, "though, would thou like to see her after this? I am sure that she wants to see thou."

"Sure."

George sighed as he looked at Paul.

"I can assure you that Martha is-"

Suddenly, a loud sound from behind him made him turn around.

John, holding the plate up in the air, was gulping down the cooked meat on it.

"Ahem?"

John froze, his eyes opening wide as he looked in front of him.

George was looking at him with an unsatisfied expression, his golden arms bending downwards as both of the flames on the smaller candles went out.

Paul blinked.

"Uh... Is that how he eats?"

"Yes."

John slowly put the plate down on the table and looked away from the pair, thankful that his fur hid the blush that was forming on his cheeks.

"Here," Paul said politely, holding out his apple.

Slowly, John turned to look at it.

Reaching out, he grabbed the fruit with his paw and pulled back slowly, keeping it in his grasp instead of swallowing it whole.

"Now... just take a bite out of it."

John looked at Paul and blinked.

"One bite? Even with just one bite, I will still eat this in one gulp."

"One tiny bite then. It's not that hard."

Gulping, John stared at the apple for a moment.

Slowly, he opened his mouth just a bit and raised the fruit to his mouth, staring to feel embarrassed.

Paul had to stop himself from chuckling a little as he looked at the sight.

"There's nothing to worry about. Just bite it."

John closed his eyes and bit into the apple, taking off a small piece of it as he chewed.

Placing the apple down onto the table, he swallowed and opened his eyes again.

Paul smiled.

"That's right. Now..."

Looking over at the cart, Paul grabbed the other plate of meat and passed it to John.

"I'm not going to have this. Now, seeing how they're small, you can eat them whole. But, just one at a time."

Sighing, John grabbed a piece off of the plate and put it in his mouth, blinking as he looked down all the while.

George gaped at him.

"Why... I hast not seen him... this..."

He turned to Paul, raising both of his golden arms as the candles relit themselves.

"Thou sure are rubbing off on him. He has not eaten like that in... in decades at least."

"Ay, I can't see," Ringo spoke up from the floor.

Turning in his chair, Paul grabbed Ringo and placed him next to George.

"Oh... this is surprising,"he stated after a moment, watching as John continued to eat calmly.

Paul let out a chuckle.

"I didn't know that this would be so attention-grabbing."

"Thou are telling me. I thought that your highness had forgotten how to eat like this," Ringo stated, still looking at John.

"We hast tried to get him to eat like this before, but he always refused..." George stated.

"Maybe it's because I'm here that he's doing it now."

Ringo turned around after Paul's statement, smiling.

"Well, it is a start to get him back to normal.

Paul thought for a moment, staring at John as a thought came to him.

Looking down at Ringo and George, he opened his mouth.

"Has he... Is he able to read?"