Chapter 9: Place to Stay

Paul sat up against the stone wall in the cell, head hung low as he stayed silent, eyes closed.

It was very cold, making the bassist shiver as he waited for sleep to finally come to him.

However, the sound of approaching footsteps made any drowsiness leave him as his head shot sup instantly.

The beast, holding the candlestick, entered the room, stopping in front of Paul's cell as the flames flickered upwards, providing just enough light to see the bassist's face.

"I hast another place for thou to stay."

"W-w... what?"

Paul's voice was quiet as he stared into the beast's brown eyes, barely noticing the large paw that reached over to the lock.

"Thou shall come obediently, unless thou want to be pulled!"

The beast's voice slipped from calm to dark, making Paul flinch.

With a loud squeak, the now unlocked cell door slowly swung open.

"Stand."

Slowly, Paul got up on his feet, legs shaking as he stepped forward, lowering his head down in the process.

Once the bassist was at his side, the beast turned to walk out of the room, Paul reluctantly following.

The dark hallway seemed to stretch on forever to the bassist, and he slowly raised his head, taking a glance at the bare stone walls that he could now see clearly.

The beast opened the old and broken door that led to the main room, Paul following suite as he looked around.

Only now did the bassist study what was around the room.

Small statues of creatures with sharp teeth, scaly skin, and angry glares forever set in the stone made Paul's pace slow down, for he was taken back by the decorations.

It didn't take him too long to remember what the beast had said before, and he quickly walked up to his side again, eyes closing as he continued to walk.

Two brown eyes and a mouth formed on the main candle of the candlestick, and it turned to stare at the prisoner.

Slowly, George looked over at the beast, who had noticed his movements.

He did his best to lean over to him.

"Say something to him," George whispered quietly into the beast's ear.

The beast looked at him with a confused glare.

"Why?" he replied quietly.

"Just look at the lad. at least try to do something nice, your highness. He has been through a lot today."

Sighing, the beast looked over at Paul, who had his half-opened eyes focused on the ancient carpet on the floor, thankful that he hadn't noticed their talking.

"Um... thou art acting quite good."

George rolled his eyes, staying still as he waited for a possible response.

No response came, Paul keeping his gaze on the carpet.

The beast looked at George again, glaring.

"Now what?" he whispered quietly.

George shook a little at the beast's tone.

"I... just... try to keep thy anger in check."

In an instant, George's eyes and mouth receded back into the wax, making the beast shake his head.

As they got to the grand staircase, Paul's head finally raised up, his hazel eyes opening.

He unwillingly walked up the steps, not noticing the lone small clock that rested on the far edge of the first step.

Paul stayed silent, tears starting to roll down his face again as they came to a stop on the landing.

The beast turned over to him, still holding the inanimate candlestick high.

"Thou shall go to thy room."

He lifted his other large paw, pointing it at the door at the top of the steps.

"And do not go down that hallway, unless thou want to be punished."

Paul lifted his gaze to stare at the door, staying silent.

"Thou hast anything to say?"

Slowly, Paul turned over to the beast again, staring up at him as the tears slowly slid down his cheeks.

"I... I d-don't... know..."

"Then thou shall go up now, and I will watch to make sure thou does not try anything."

Lowering his head again, Paul slowly walked up to the staircase, walking up swiftly as his breath began to get heavy.

Once at the top, he stopped in front of the door, not even bothering to look at the hallway before opening it.

Stepping inside the dark room, Paul closed the door, seeing that there was a large wooden bureau and a small bed.

There was an unglazed window in the room, a breeze coming through it as Paul turned around.

Breathing heavily, Paul ran over to the bed, collapsing onto its ancient purple blanket as he began to sob into it.

Outside the room, the beast sighed as he gazed at the closed door.

The small clock came hopping up the steps, stopping on the landing as its two blue eyes stared up at him.

"So... how was Paul?"

The beast turned around, two eyes and a mouth forming on the main candle of the candlestick as its flames went out.

"Very quiet, but otherwise fine," George stated as the beast placed him on the ground.

"I shall go to tell Mrs. Powell and Julian now. Neither of thou shall enter his room."

George hopped up to Ringo's  side, staring up at the beast, neither willing to question him.

The two turned around and began to head down the steps, leaving the beast to himself.

Ringo sighed, George reigniting the flames on the three candles in the process.

"Think the lad will be scared when the secret is revealed tomorrow, George?"

George sighed in response, continuing to hope down the steps.

"At first, but Jane will probably be nice."