Chapter 21: An Embarrassment

"Ay, cheer up, Mr. McCartney," Pete cheerfully stated as he looked over at James, who was sitting in the bar stool next to him.

"Paul will come around eventually, unless if he ran off for good."

"Yeah, well, I wouldn't be surprised," James stated as he raised his head up to stare at his half-finished drink.

Lu, who sat next to them, snickered. Byrne, who sat next to him, leaned over to whisper.

"Looks like the bird-lookin' lad finally ran off, eh?"

Lu chuckled in response.

"Sure has."

Rory looked over at them from the pool table, Ty setting it all the while.

"S-Sorry Pete, b-but i-it s-seems like y-your l-love interest h-has left t-town, m-maybe."

Pete, sighed, glancing over at Rory before looking at James, who stared back blankly.

"Anyway... did you give Mike a piece of your mind?"

"Yes. He knows well that I don't want him going out of the house at night without asking me first."

Pete opened his mouth to reply, but before he could...

"Dad!"

Mike came bursting through the bar door, getting James's attention immediately.

"Mike!? What are you doing here!?"

Lu and Byrne both held back chuckles as Rory and Ty shook their heads.

"Listen. I... I'm sorry for what Paul and i did last night, but I really think that you shouldn't be hanging out with these people."

Pete raised an eyebrow, putting a hand on his chest as if to say that he was hurt.

"Why, not with the most successful band in Liverpool? Mike, Just because you're brother-"

"You be quiet! Paul never really liked you that much!"

James shook his head and closed his eyes for a moment, trying to ignore the chuckle that escaped Pete's lips.

"Oh, he does. And he knows it."

Pete tilted his eyes as Mike stopped next to James, who refused to look at him.

"Come on. I want you to come home. These people may be successful, but-"

"Mike, just go outside now."

Everyone grew silent upon hearing James's stern voice.

Mike took a step back, blinking.

"B-But dad-"

"Please! Just... Y-you know what?"

James slowly stood up on the hard wooden floor, now staring to glare at his son.

"These people have given me the chance to finally have one of my sons find success, and thus removing the embarrassment I have to deal with every single day from both of your antics. And you're trying to take that away just because you don't like them?"

Mike gulped, taking another step back.

"P-Paul told you himself that he has problems with-"

"So what!? You know, I am sick and tired of being this town's laughing stock! Why don't you think I've been able to find a good job!?"

James took a step forward, looking even angrier than before.

"It's because no one's going to consider the father of the two most foolish and stupid people in this entire town to work for them! All I want is to live a normal life! Can't I just have that!?"

Pete chuckled.

"Calm down there, Mr. McCartney. We here all understand. Don't we lads?"

Lu, Ty, Byrne, and Rory, all voiced their agreement.

"Don't worry. We know that you are doing your best to succeed. Now, just have Mike leave, and we can have a good time."

After Pete's statement, James took in a deep breath.

"Go back home, Mike."

Mike stared at his father for a moment.

"But... B-but..."

"Just... go and leave me in peace, okay? I have enough problems already. I don't need you making a fool of yourself in front of these people."

James turned away from Mike, sitting back down in his bar stool.

"After all, Paul's already done that in front of a lot of people out there... I don't need you following in his footsteps."

"S-So... you're just going to go against his dreams?"

James thought deeply for a moment.

"I guess... I need to. He's just digging himself a hole, and I need to stop him before it gets too deep."

He took another deep breath.

"Just go home now and I won't yell at you about this, alright?"

Mike stared at him for a moment before responding.

"O-Okay..."

He turned away from him.

"I... I apologize..."

James kept his focus on his drink as he heard the bar's door open and close.

Pete put an arm around him.

"We won't mind him, Mr. McCartney. We here all see faith in you."

James turned his head to face the drummer.

"Thanks..."

He sighed.

"If only I could bring myself to see it in at least one of me sons..."