Chapter 30: Playing Around

Bark

Bark

Bark

Martha ran around Paul's legs as he stood in front of the grand staircase.

"Uh, is she being too... unruly for thou?" Maureen asked as she watched from the first step, Ringo at her side.

"No no, she's fine," Paul responded.

George and Pattie stood a few feet away from the bassist and the step stool, watching intently as Martha continued to run circles.

"My my, I can imagine that she is quite excited to see thou. She has always been thrilled to meet another person, if I remember correctly," George stated after a moment, holding out one of his golden arms to pull Pattie closer to him, instinctively putting out the flame on the small candle in the process.

Pattie giggled in response.

With no warning, Martha slowed to a stop in front of Paul and stood up on her hind wooden legs, supporting her weight on Paul's legs, panting.

Paul reached down and moved his hand across the red velvet cover.

"So, you had to hold her back during breakfast, right?" he asked, turning his head around for a moment to glance at Maureen.

The coat rack sighed.

"Yes, but she was a bit calmer this time."

"A bit calmer this time indeed," Cynthia added, hoping in from the left of the staircase, Julian following closely behind.

Upon seeing the teapot and cup, Martha ran over to them, skidding to a stop just before the pair.

Julian gasped in excitement.

"Martha! Oh moma, can I ride her this time?"

"No Julian," Cynthia replied softly.

Paul took a step towards them, raising an eyebrow.

"And... um, if you don't mind me asking, why don't you want him to do that?"

Cynthia stared at the ancient carpet underneath her for a moment, uncharacteristically nervous to answer.

"I..I do not want him to fall again..."

She turned and did her best to gesture at the small chip on Julian's rim, making the teacup hop back a bit in embarrassment.

"I do not know what I would do if... if he shattered..."

Paul knelt down and placed a hand on the worried teapot, making Cynthia look up at him.

"I'm sure that a little run from here to the other side of the staircase and back wouldn't hurt too much," he stated calmly, smiling.

"Yeah! That sounds fun!" Julian exclaimed, hopping up into the air.

Cynthia sighed.

"Well, I guess so..."

She turned to look at Martha.

"Now, just as long as thou does not go too fast."

With that, Julian quickly hopped over to Martha, who barked in excitement.

Paul watched the teacup landed on top of the step stool.

"Now, only go to the other side of the staircase and come back here once you do, okay?" He stated as he looked down at the pair.

Martha could only bark in response, but the bassist knew that his order was understood.

Martha began to quickly stride across the carpet, Julian giggling as he looked on at all who watched them.

Maureen chuckled to herself as she glanced down at Ringo.

"First, I hear that he was able to get your highness to eat properly. Now this? I feel like we've been blessed."

Ringo smiled up at her.

"Well, if we had to wait over two centuries for this lad to come here, then I guess that it was a sign of things to come."

The two turned back to stare at Martha and Julian.

As Martha got to the other side, she paused, turning around.

At the same pace, she began to travel back the way she came.

Paul smirked at this.

"You see?" He asked, looking down at Cynthia, "There's nothing to worry about. He's fine."

"I guess thou art... right," Cynthia stated slowly as she took in what was happening.

Once Martha stopped in front of them, Julian hopped off of her, proceeding to hop all around the pair.

"Again, again, again!" he shouted in excitement.

Paul shifted his gaze to Martha, who wagged her fabric tail in response.

"Good girl. Now, you must only travel that fast when Julian's on you, understand?"

Martha stood up on her wooden hind legs, reaching out with her front wooden legs and resting against Paul's leg.

Paul chuckled.

George turned to Pattie and stared at the feather duster for a moment.

"And I thought that he couldn't do anything better..." George stated after a moment.

Upon hearing the candlestick's statement, Paul turned to George, smiling.

"Well, you and Ringo told me that neither of you think that John can read."

He chuckled, shaking his head.

"Well, just you wait. I have an idea for that."