Chapter 4: Strange Discovery

"Uh, Mike, you sure we should be searching this far?"

Mike sighed as he put a hand on Paul's shoulder, making sure to avoid a huge fallen branch on the ground.

"We'll be fine. We both know which way to go if-"

He paused when the sound of a wolf howling into the night came from some distance behind him.

Paul shivered at the sound.

"I think you're taking this thing way too far, Mike. Besides, how long have we been out he now?"

"Barely half an hour. Besides, they're calling for a huge snowstorm tomorrow. This will be the only chance we have at going out for a while."

The bassist sighed in response, noticing that there was a steep decline up ahead in the forest.

"Oh... Why... That's odd," Paul said, pointing at it.

Mike tilted his head a bit, both stopping before the decline began, staring at the trees that continued downward.

"Can we?" 

"I... Guess," Paul responded, not wanting to disappoint his younger brother.

Slowly, the siblings began to walk down the declining landscape, both taking extra care not to trip and fall.

A cold breeze blew past them, making Paul cling onto his long-sleeved shirt for warmth.

Once the land was flat again, the pair stopped, turning around to see just how far down they went.

"Why, this is really deep down!" Mike said in excitement, causing more wolves to howl in the distance.

"Mike!" Paul whispered, "can you kept it down? I don't want any wolves to find us!"

Turning around, Mike shrugged.

"Eh, they haven't approached us so far. And, if there is a castle, then it would easily be hidden here."

Sighing, Paul turned around as well, beginning to walk forward again as his brother joined at his side.

"Why are you so curious about this castle anyway?" Paul asked, keeping his voice quiet.

"They say that only true love would break the prince's curse, you know. Or, something like that. If he's here, I'd like to see if he's been set free yet!"

The bassist shook his head.

"Even if... There is a castle here, I wouldn't go inside..."

"Why not brother? From what I've gathered, you don't believe the legend."

"Okay... But just the fact that..."

Paul stopped in his tracks and his eyes went wide.

Mike, who had turned his face over to him, stared at him with confusion.

"Paul?"

"It... It can't be..."

Slowly, Mike turned his head forward.

The sight made him let out a laugh.

"You see? Told ya it was real!"

The castle stood still and lonely in the clearing, its dark exterior decorated with gargoyles and old brick pathways leading up to the door, several small patches of dirt littered in front of it that could have once served as gardens.

It was completely dark inside, for there were no lights coming from the unglazed windows, the ancient silk curtains swaying in the breeze.

Paul began to sweat.

"Mike-"

"Come on! I'm not letting something this grand go so easily!"

Mike chuckled again, taking a step forward.

"This is so-"

"Mike, please. Don't go inside. I... I'd rather not risk it..."

Paul rubbed his arm, nervous.

Mike turned back to him.

"I'll be fine Paul. Just explore out here while I just go inside. I promise that I won't go that far in."

The bassist bit his lip, shivering.

"Okay.. But you come out quick, you here?"

"Got it," Mike replied, though it was a bit too quick for Paul to believe.

Before he could say anything else, Mike quickly walked up to the castle's grand door, which came open with a simple push.

Mike turned back, smiling.

"I'll be fine. Stop worrying."

With that, he walked inside, the door slowly closing on its own.

Paul stood there in front of the castle, his head turning to examine what was around him.

Surprisingly, there were rose bushes that were still blooming in spots, while others were brown and long dead.

The bassist took in a deep breath and went over to a brick path, sitting down as he stared at a live bush.

"Ah Mike, when will ya ever learn?" Paul asked himself quietly, making sure that he couldn't hear any wolves around him.

"Hopefully, this will all end peacefully..."