Chapter 33: Eavesdropping

"Shh."

George turned back to stare at Ringo and Cynthia, all three of his candles unlit to avoid catching attention.

"We already know that we hast to be quiet," Ringo whispered.

"I just wanted to make sure," George replied just as quietly.

Pushing the door to the library open just a bit, George heard a conversation from inside.

"Can I just make up what I want to play instead of following this?"

"You're better off starting small first, and then building on top of that."

Raising an eyebrow, George opened the door just a crack so that all three could peek inside.

John, sitting in a chair by the fireplace, was holding an old guitar as Paul held an open book in front of him.

"Besides... Thou know that I cannot really play this easily with my paw."

"You can try."

A series of random notes resonated from the guitar as John tried to find a way to effectively play it.

"Well, it seems like things art going fine for them," Cynthia stated.

"And... do we hast any ideas for what we should do for the pair?"

Ringo thought for a moment.

"I am not sure. I mean, it seems like they are on their way to a relationship already."

"But..." George paused, looking back at the clock.

"How do we know that they art going to fall in love in time? Nevertheless, what relationship art they building?"

"What do thou mean by that?" Ringo asked.

"What if it is just a very strong friendship, or... something like that?"

Ringo's eyes widened at the possibility of that.

"George, I think thou art worrying too much that," Cynthia responded softly.

"Alright, probably, but..." George sighed.

"I just do not want to let this chance slip by..."

Ringo patted George.

"I know how thou feel... I am worried too..."

Cynthia stared at the pair for a moment.

"Now now, there is no need to feel all sad," she said, smiling, "I am sure that it will all work out fine in the end."

Staying quiet, George turned back to stare at the pair inside the library, seeing that John was focusing on the book as he was plucking the strings on the guitar.

"If he actually learns how to play, I might just faint," George mumbled to himself.

"At least he does seem to hast learned to keep his anger in check," Cynthia whispered, hopping forward to peer inside the room.

Once John stopped playing, he looked at Paul.

"So... how was that?"

"Well... about as good as I was when I first started."

George smiled.

"You know what? Maybe things are going to be fine."

"Mama?"

All three objects jumped up, startled.

Julian stared at them.

"What is going on?"

"Julian, shh!" Cynthia stated.

"But why-mph?"

Ringo covered his mouth.

"We do not want to let John and Paul know that we art out here," Ringo whispered, uncovering his mouth.

Julian smiled.

"Okay," he whispered.

George turned back to stare inside the room, only to see that both occupants were staring at the door.

"Oh... Uh..."

He did his best to put on a smile and waved, trying to lighten the awkwardness of the situation.

"Hey... there..."

Cynthia, Julian, and Ringo froze, all staring inside the room with wide eyes.

John and Paul both looked at each other for a moment.

Before either of then could respond, George spoke up.

"Uuuhhh... we art just... going to go."

Letting out a chuckle, George turned around and ushered the others away from the door and down the hallway, all sounds of them moving muffled by the carpet below them.

Once they were at the end of the hall, George sighed.

"Well, there goes that."

Julian looked down, frowning.

"Uh... Sorry..."

"Do not feel bad, Julian," Cynthia stated in a caring tone, staring down at the little teacup.

"Besides, it does not seem like your highness is angry with us."

"Yeah, you art actually right," Ringo stated thoughtfully, "He did not yell, and we art not being chased. So..."

George hummed, surprised.

"I guess things art really lightening up."

"And what a relief that is," Ringo stated, leaning against the wall.

"At this rate, I really do hope that they fall in love," Ringo continued, staring up at the ceiling.

Cynthia stared at each of them in turn and then smiled.

"Well, either way, I still say that we set up something special for them."