Chapter 28: Early Morning Visit

Mike was half-asleep on the sofa, eyes drooping closed as he yawned once again.

"Ugh..."

He stretched his arms out, but before he could get up.

Knock

Knock

Knock

There came three knocks at the front door, followed by a voice that Mike had hoped that he wouldn't ever hear again.

"Ay, anyone awake in there? I just want to check up on ya," Pete said from the other side.

"Oh god..."

Standing up, Mike reluctantly walked over to the front door, taking a deep breath as he stood in front of it. 

He slowly turned the door knob and pulled back, rolling his eyes at the drummer who stood on the porch.

"Pete... what do you want now?"

Pete smirked, placing his hands behind his back.

"I thought that I would check up on you two. Speaking of which... James asleep?"

Mike grunted.

"Yes."

"And... that bird-like brother of yours is still away, isn't he?"

Pete chuckled.

"Or, is he here and you're just covering for him?"

He stepped inside the house, forcing Mike to move to the side.

"Oh, so I guess he really has abandoned you two. Such a shame."

"Look," Mike said sternly, stepping to Pete's side as he looked over the living room, "Paul doesn't want to be with you anymore. And I would really appreciate it if you stop pestering us."

"Well, your father seems to disagree."

Mike looked down at the ground for a moment, frowning.

"Yeah, well, about that-"

"Ay, you wouldn't want to act against your only parent's wishes, would you?" Pete interrupted, chuckling afterwards as he put an arm around Mike.

Mike pulled away from Pete.

"Yesterday, I had a talk with him, and he told me himself that he regrets what he did. So, I think that it's safe to say that he doesn't want to see you here."

"So he did?"

Pete shook his head, chuckling.

"I suppose that the guilt over losing one of his sons has finally gotten to him. But..."

He turned his head to Mike, smiling.

"He'll come to his senses some time."

Mike sighed heavily, shaking his head.

"Can you just leave now? I really don't want to talk to you."

"Why should I? Paul could come home anytime now. Besides, my band has the day off, so I have nothing else to do."

Pete chuckled.

"How much do you want to bet that he wants me the moment he comes home?"

He cleared his throat.

"Oh Pete, forgive me. I was wrong. You're the most perfect lad I've ever met," he said in a mocking voice.

He laughed.

"Oh god, that would be perfect!"

"I guess that there's no use in telling you that he's-"

"I know, I know. The castle and that. But, really now, we both know that he ran off."

Mike placed his hand to his forehead.

"I must say Mike, your brother has a pretty good build. He probably ran off with another man, if you ask me."

Pete chuckled again.

"I mean, if you ask me, he looks even better from behin-"

A fist came slamming in to his eye, causing Pete to stumble back.

"Ay! What did you do that for!?"

Mike glared at him.

"Listen here! You think that, because you're part of the most famous band in this town, that you can get away with treating people like me and my brother like rubbish. Well then, I can tell you one thing..."

He stepped towards Pete, who now had a black eye.

"If you ever come to this house again, I won't stop with just one punch, you understand!?"

Pete, stepping back towards the front door, grunted.

"Fine... I always thought that you two were worthless anyway. The only thing that I wanted Paul for was his body."

"Well, are you just going to stand there?"

There was silence for a moment.

"Leave now!"

Mike clenched his hands up into fists as Pete turned to the door.

"Okay, I will. But just wait till I tell me bandmates about this. You won't stand a chance!"

"Yeah?! Well, my dad is-"

"What is going on down here!?"

Both Pete and Mike turned towards the staircase, only to see James on the last step, seemingly still a little groggy.

"H-He started it!" Pete shouted, pointing at Mike.

Without a word, James stomped down to the floor.

However, he walked past Mike, who only looked on in confusion.

"Hey, wait a min-"

A hand clasped itself around Pete's neck.

"The deal's off. I don't want you near any of my sons again. And, if you even dare try to contact Paul ever again, I'm going to get the authorities involved. You understand!?"

"Y-yes..." Pete stuttered in between breaths.

Swiftly, James opened the front door and threw Pete out onto the porch, slamming the door shut and locking it.

Taking a moment to calm down, James turned back to Mike, expression unreadable.

"Never open the door if he comes here again."