Chapter 2: Curious about a Legend

"Paul! What did I tell you about just having your bass guitar lay wherever!?"

"Dad, it was safe next to the sofa downstairs!"

Mike sighed as he listened to the yelling, standing behind his father as his drunken words slurred out.

"Well if I have to tell you to-"

"I know Dad, now just leave me alone!"

Paul turned his head away, crossing his arms in anger as he ignored his guitar that laid on his bed beside him.

Sighing, his father stepped back, hiccuping.

"Fine... Mike?"

He turned to Paul's younger brother, who stared back.

"Make sure he leaves his guitar up here from now on, okay?"

"Okay..."

Mike sighed as his father went into his room, slamming the door shut behind him.

Sighing heavily, he turned to look at Paul again, who began to stand up.

"I don't get it! Why does he have to be so stuck up all the time?"

Mike rubbed the back of his head.

"He's been like that... since mom died..."

Paul lowered his head down for a moment.

"Yeah... but... I don't understand why he's still acting so... messed up..."

He took in a breath.

"I mean... ever since she died, he's been controlling of my life. Everything, from me career to even me bloody haircut! What's wrong with it, seriously?"

Mike sighed as Paul went up to his side, and they both began to walk down the stairs.

"Paul, no one's ever seen a haircut like that before... a moptop is it?"

"Yes... you don't think it's bad, do ya?'

"No."

As they reached the living room, Mike sighed and led Paul to the sofa, the two sitting down as they stared out the window at the dark night sky.

"Anyway... what do you want to do now?"

Paul sighed at the question.

"I don't know... but..."

The bassist raised his head up.

"There is something I've been wanting to do for a while..."

"What?" Mike asked.

"You know... that forest behind our house, right?"

"Of course."

Paul looked away from his brother for a moment, becoming nervous.

"I've been... wanting to go for a walk through there for a while... just to get me mind off of things."

Mike was silent for a moment, eyes widening slowly.

"But Paul... you k-know that's were-"

"I know about the legend of the castle Mike, but why would I believe such a thing?"

Paul turned his head back to face him.

"I mean, the whole town knows about the legend of the castle in the forest, but I doubt that anyone believes it. I mean, a spoiled prince being cursed to live there? It's like some fairy tale or something."

"Well... no one knows if it is really there or not..." Mike started.

"In fact, some people say that he's not the only one there... and... being there for so many years can be quite the... experience."

Paul sighed lightly.

"Regardless, I just want to get out of this house and go somewhere calm and quiet. But... at least now I have something entertaining to think about."

Mike seemed to brighten at the bassist's response.

"So... do you want to... go out now?"

Paul's eyes widened a bit.

"But... Dad will-"

"It'll be fine, besides, he trusts me. He's probably out cold by now after all, you saw how wasted he was."

Paul smiled a little.

"Okay, but we're just-"

"Just going for a walk, I get it."

The bassist raised an eyebrow, 

"Well... I wouldn't mind searching for something that doesn't exist."

He chuckled, Mike standing up as well.

"Either way, still going to be better than staying here."

Mike patted his back.

"I always have yer back, brother. And with the rain gone, we can be outside all night if we want!"

Paul waked over to the shoes and picked up his pair, sitting down to put them on as Mike did the same.

"We're... going to be back before dawn, right?" Paul asked once he got his shoes on.

"Yes. At least... if you don't want to be."

The bassist chuckled a little at Mike's statement.

"If it weren't for you, I probably would have moved out myself some time ago."

Mike;s smile faltered a little as he finished tying his shoes.

"Paul... you still like Dad, right?"

"Yes. It's just that..."

Paul sighed, placing his hand on the front door as Mike reached over to the light switch.

"Sometimes, he really gets on me nerves..."

"Yeah... me too..."

Once the living room light was off, Paul and Mike looked at each other for a moment.

"So... we're going to search for the castle, right?"

"Might as well. Even if there is one, it's probably empty."

Both chuckling, the two brothers proceeded to walk through the front door, ready for an adventure.