A New Member

Piper's POV

I lay in my bed, thinking about what happened yesterday. I can't describe what I am feeling after the incident. I couldn't sleep the whole night, reasoning out and interpreting the experiences and the memories that can't be erased from my highly teenage brain.

I hear Calypso, Andy, and Johanna entering my room. I close my eyes.

"Piper! Come on, wake up! You have to reach the Grand Hall in an hour!" Calypso almost shouts.

"Why?" I get up to ask.

"Elimination Ceremony is scheduled for today." No sooner than the words escape her mouth that my heart starts to palpitate. 'Elimination'.

"Get fresh while we decide your dress," Andy says.

I enter the bathroom, brush my teeth, and took off my clothes. I let the shower waters fall slowly on my body. I close my eyes and yesterday's scene comes flashing back.  His one step broke me in a way no one can ever imagine. But now, it seems to make sense. I smile through my tears, a painful smile. 

This is my last day here.

The story shall end been before it could start.

This story which appeared to be a beautiful fairy tale will end forever.

Dad used to say that every fairy tale has a happy ending. Seems like mine is an exception.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am almost ready. Calypso makes my hair while Andy and Johanna make the bed and arrange the dresses in the wardrobe. My heart seems to have stopped at the thought of leaving. Maybe Calypso sensed it.

"Don't worry Piper. Everything is going to be alright." I nod, plastering a small smile on my lips. She doesn't know anything. That's why she is saying that. 

After a few minutes, I find myself walking in the corridor beside Hazel, whose smile somehow brightens a tiny part inside me. I will never be able to meet her again.

"Hey Piper, I know you will get through. So, don't be nervous! You did your tasks quite well, then why are you distressed! I can assure you, you can win the Selection if Reyna doesn't come in the way! You both are quite a competition." She says.

I look at her. Maybe Calypso was right. Everything will be alright. He with Reyna in this castle and me with my Dad, away from here, in our small house. Everything will be what it is supposed to be. After all, I hate Jason Grace and the person I adored, maybe he never existed. 

We reach the Grand Hall and take our seats in front of the platform that is set up for the Royal Family. The Hall is decorated beautifully. This time, the curtains are in royal blue with exquisite roses of a variety of colors.

As time passes, the Royal Family from Greece and Italy enter the Halls followed by Princess of Ilea and Head Hunteress of Artemis. I smile at the two little girls sitting side by side, a spark of mischief seen clearly in their eyes. They instantly catch me staring at them and make faces at me. I will miss them a lot.

Hazel nudges me. I see that everyone is standing. I realize my mistake and thus rise abruptly. The future King of Ilea enters the Grand Hall with two guards behind him. Even if I don't want to see him yet I do, unconsciously. He carries himself with elegance, steadiness, and grace, just like a King. By his body language, he seems to be quite strong, bold, and confident. But his face and his eyes have a different story to tell. At one glance, you can't tell it but if you observe a little, you will find something interesting. He is nervous and underconfident. I suppress a smile, though I couldn't. I appreciate the way he hides his feeling, the way he veils the darkness inside his heart, not letting anyone reach there. But his eyes are an open book, exposing his deep secrets. Even if today his looks, his manners, his position, and his status is totally different from the day I met him, there is something, a bond may be, that doesn't allow me to let go of the thought that the person I met that day is real and is still breathing in the depths of this person walking in front of me. Wait...now I am thinking about him. I am only making my problems even more complex.