The Truth

Jason's POV

I made my way towards the stage and the girl singing. Her voice, her song made me forget all my worries and made me feel as if I were flying. Well, it sounds crazy but that's exactly what she has made me.
~~~~

After her performance, I approached her. "Hello Piper!"
She looked up and when she saw me, she stood up and smiled.
She said, "Hey Sparky!Are you ready to discover my world. By the way, tell me did you like my song?"

I said, rubbing my chin with my fingers, "Hmmm... It was okay."

Her face fell, "Do think like that about me!", she said, dejectedly. She looked cute when offended.

I smiled and said, "No, no. Your singing was incredible. I think you should start your career as a singer. You would become a great star."

Her face lit up, so I decided to continue, "If you want I can show you the kingdom of Illea. It's beautiful, wanna go?"
"Illea!, you can show?it's my pleasure. I have heard a lot about it. Though it's just a forest away, but I can't go there alone. If you accompany me, I will surely go."
I smiled, "Besides, you can also sing in the palace. I will earn an good living. You can also get a chance to sing in front of the whole Illea, including -"
"Prince Jason Grace" She completed.

Listening my name from her mouth should have made my day but when she said, her jaw tightened and her expression was full of hatred.

She hated me. But why?
"Do you hate the Prince?" I asked.
"Sorry, but I dont want to talk about it now. You wanted to see the village, right, so this our charity school, the only school in our village." She said.

I was so busy in my conversation that I missed the fact that we were standing just in front of a building. I examined the details. The school was in a dilapidated condition. It damaged from almost every part, maybe due to lack of maintenance. Animals loiter around the garbage thrown near the building.  The scene was very pathetic  and the smell... oh my goodness.

"How do children study in here?" I murmured.

"You see, this building belonged to an old man who transformed it into a school, he appointed a number of experienced teachers here. But the events drastically changed when he passed away. There was no one to maintain the building."

"And the teachers, they left?" I asked.
Piper nodded. "And hence to teach the students, a group of educated people, which included just five of us, took the initiative. We teach them for free and the books, we have to buy them with our own money."

We sat there on the nearby bench while Piper told me the whole story about the school. I was filled with guilt for not doing what I was supposed to do.

When she was done, we stayed there in silence but as usual, I decided to break the ice.
"So, this is the reason why you hate the prince? "
She chuckled and then answered, "Come on, you haven't seen the whole village. But-"

Piper didn't complete the line, instead she grabbed my hand and forced me behind the bench on which we were sitting just a minute before. When I started to ask what the matter was. She just covered my mouth with her hand and pointed towards something.

In front of us was the guy, Dylan, the person who mistreated Piper the other day. I looked at Piper, she had a scared look on her face.

"Why are we hiding from him? Let me go, I want to have a good talk with this guy." I said. But before I could stand, Piper pulled me down. Her eyes on the guy, who was probably searching for her, Piper said, "Don't be stupid! He is from the nearby kingdom and the son of a really powerful man. He can do anything, he can even hurt you. Please don't. "

Dylan stood there for awhile but then, disappointed, he went away, maybe back to where he came from.
Piper heaved a sigh of relief and we came out from the place of hiding.
"Thank gods, he is gone! I just wish I could fight him." She murmured the last line sadly.
"Hey Piper! You want to teach him a lesson, right? Why don't you learn how to fight back?" I said.

"But who will teach me? " She said quietly.
"Your instructor is here." I said grinning.

"You are going to teach me." She said laughing. I wonder whether it was a statement or a question, whatever it was, it sounded nice.

Our eyes met and stayed there for a second too long.

"Oh ghosh! I have to go. Bye Sparky! See you tomorrow!" Piper said and after that she was gone.

I stood there, grinning to myself but the smile vanished as soon as it came. She hates me.