15 | IN WHICH SHE TRAVELS IN A JET

'Please don't be angry with me, Lloyd. I can't bear it when you are.' Malora's eyes welled with tears and she blinked them away.

His face softened. There was sadness in his voice when he spoke. 'I can't bear it when you cry. I'm not angry with you, Make. I'm angry with myself for failing you.'

'You haven't failed me, Lloyd. I'm so proud of you. Of everyone we know, you're the only one who has made it out of this vortex of poverty and hopelessness. I'm not your responsibility. I'm a big girl now. I can take care of myself.'

He nodded. 'I know. I just wanted better for you.'

'It's not so bad. It's just sex, Lloyd.'

'How's Louis anyway?'

'He's bad. Real bad. The good days are less and less. You do see that I had to do this, don't you?'

'Maybe, but I don't like it, though.'

There was a lull in the conversation and Malora tried to liven it up. 'Since we are openly discussing my sex life. . .are you gay?'

'What?'

'Are you gay?'

Lloyd laughed. 'That'll be a surprise to my girlfriend.'

She gasped. 'You have a girlfriend?'

'Mmnnn.'

'Since when?'

'Two weeks ago. I was always so focused on getting out of the estate I didn't allow myself to get distracted, but my goal is in sight now, and she's a great girl.'

'And just when were you going to tell me, Lloyd Calhoun?'

'Well, how could I with Mika springing your big news on me?'

'Tell me more about her.' Before he could answer, her phone rang. It was Titan. 'Hi,' she said, looking at Lloyd.

'Are you at the apartment?'

'No.'

'Can you get there in thirty minutes?'

'I guess so.'

'See you in thirty minutes.' He hung up.

'That was him?' Lloyd asked.

Malora nodded. 'I've got to go. I'll take a rain check on lunch with you, but I'm buying and we're going somewhere nice.'

'With his money?'

Malora didn't say anything. Of course it was his money. Her credit cards were maxed out before him. And that damned Black card was still with her. He did say she could use it.

'Thanks, but no thanks. I understand why you're doing what you're doing, but I'll be damned if I'm going to help spend his money. As far as I'm concerned it's blood money—your blood. I'm not going to drink from it.'

She looked at him helplessly. 'It's not that, bad. Don't let it come between us, please,' she begged.

He reached forward and grasped her hands in his. 'Nothing will come between us. I'll always be here for you and will be long after he is gone. No matter what happens, I want you to know I'm always here, a phone call away. You can always come to me.'

Tears sprang into her eyes. 'What's the name of that girlfriend of yours?' She sniffed.

'Juliet.'

'She's lucky.'

He smiled. 'You must tell her.'

'When?'

'Luke's throwing a birthday party, and Mika would be returning then. I'll bring her.'