31 | IN WHICH SHE DISCOVERED HIDDEN TRUTHS

Please be okay, please be okay, please be okay.

She heard the words, the vaguely familiar voice, coming out of the darkness.

And then somehow she was saying them, 'Please be okay, please be okay, please be okay.'

Malora and Lorena were sitting in the Kilburn children's hospital awaiting the doctor that had delivered Lorena's baby, Dr. Beauchamp and the baby in question.

Her sister had complained that the six month old baby had been refusing to eat for a few days now, plus he kept throwing up and had a very high temperature. They'd rushed him down to the hospital this morning when they woke up to find his little lips devoid of any color, plus he was had a high fever and kept sweating a lot.

It's been two hours since the baby was rushed into ICU and they'd been told to wait while Dr. Beauchamp ran several tests to determine the cause of the fever.

Her sister looked so frail and frightened, although her eyes remained dry. But Malora knew deep down inside, Lorena was sobbing.

Louis was an unplanned baby. Lorena had fallen for a married man charm, who'd promised to divorce his wife to marry her, but left her in the end with a baby and a restraining order. From the day the little guy came into the world, Malora loved him unconditionally. She refused to let her sister work until the baby was old enough to be left in a day care—and that was a year old in Malora's dictionary. Louis looked so much like his mother, and only inherited his father's green eyes, which they were grateful for.

'It's okay, Mal.' Lorena squeezed Malora's fingers, a faint smile curving the corner of her lips. 'He'll be fine.'

'I hope so, Rena,' Malora sobbed. 'I can't loose him, too.'

When Dr. Beauchamp brought the reports to them, Lorena broke down in tears, while it was Malora's turn to hold and comfort her sister. They needed a lot of money to treat the cancer, the doctor had said before leaving to attend to another patient. Money and miracle it would seem like.

Right there in the hospital, the smell of bleach and medicines coating her senses, Malora vowed to do everything in her power to find get the money. Even if she had to sell her body to get it.

*

Instead of the muffled, echoing voices of before, voices from the past, Malora heard only silence.

She was conscious of a fierce pounding of her head, and she saw nothing but blackness.

For a long stretch of time, this frightened her. The world had turned dark, silent, and unrevealing. But gradually she thought of something she might be able to do about it.

Very slowly, very carefully, she edged open her eyes.

The sterile light of the room hit her vision and caused a jolt of pain to shoot through her head. With a gasp, she squeezed her eyes shut again. She wasn't able to raise her head much, so she raised them a little further.

Lloyd sat in a chair beside her. His face was pale and damp, as if he'd been perspiring, but his expression was composed, just slightly strained.

'What happened?' She forced herself to shift her eyes around her, and she discovered she was in a hospital room. As instinct caught up to her before anything else, she gasped, 'Titan?'

'Titan is fine. You were in a car accident,' Lloyd said softly. 'You took a significant blow to the head. You might not remember the accident. That's normal.'

She tried to think back, recall anything about being in car accident, but it hurt too much to make her mind work that way. As awareness continued to come back to her, she was suddenly conscious of the way her whole body hurt.