21 | IN WHICH SHE GETS DRUNK AND LET LOOSE

That afternoon they take it easy.

Titan showed her around the villa. She'd already seen her room so they didn't explore that one. There was a room with a mirrored wall and exercise equipment, a spare bedroom, two bathrooms, a kitchen, a storeroom, a dining room, a porch and their room, the master bedroom. It is dominated by a huge cream bed. A mosquito net hangs over it like a cloud.

'Very romantic,' Malora said.

'Mossies will eat you alive without the net. They are terrible, the only drawback to this place. Make sure you spray on a lot of bug repellent before the sun sets.'

It was like doing things in reversal. The tour he was supposed to give her when they arrived was happening now. It was just as well, since Malora didn't intend to explore the place without permission.

'Okay.'

They swam and went snorkeling. The water was super clear because it had been a calm day and he pointed out all kinds of fantastically colored fish and marine life.

When evening came they stood on the beach and watched the sun setting. The sky was almost purple. It was unforgettably beautiful. Titan twined his hands into hers.

'What happens after sundown?' Malora asked.

'Nudity,' he said with a smile.

She laughed. 'How much nudity?'

'Lots.'

They went fishing, and Titan was able to catch two big one, while Malora caught one tiny one. Titan laughed at her before letting the fish swim back into the sea. Malora pouted and sulked until he pecked her lips. She lit up from within.

Titan barbecued the fish that he caught and they ate them. They were succulent and wonderful the way food never was when you're not truly hungry. After the meal she had a shower. The water was brackish. Then they sat on the beach covered in bug repellent drinking martinis and talking about random things

'Listen,' Malora said, suddenly catching what seemed to her to be the sound of music.

'It's a party on the mainland,' he replied.

'Wow, the sound travels that far?'

'Sometimes when the air is very still you can even hear a dog bark.'

'Really?'

'You want to go?' he asked.

'To the party?'

'Yeah.'

'Of course I want to go to a mainland party,' she said enthusiastically.

'Okay,' he agreed.

'We're going to crash their party?'

He smiled. 'See you need to get into island mentality. This is not England where you need to let people know that you are going to come around. Here people just drop in. More or less everyone on the mainland knows me. I'm usually invited.'

'Great.'

'Come on then. Let's go.'

Malora changed into an white top with spaghetti straps, tight red leather shorts and the only pair of sandals she had left, now that her other pair lay at the bottom of the ocean. But the gold sandals actually looked glitzy and party-ish. She layered on the mascara and slapped on the gloss as she'd been taught and she was ready.

'Looking good, Mal,' she told her reflection.

'You look amazing,' Titan said from their bedroom doorway.