9 | IN WHICH SHE IS WINED AND DINED.

For a moment Malora was struck dumb by Lorena's perceptiveness.

Then her great, great love for her intervened and she lied and lied and lied. 'You only say that because you have not met Titan yet. He is beautiful and strong and kind. It was love at first sight. When I told him about Louis, he gave double what he knew I needed.'

Lorena sighed. 'I pray to God that you will not make the same mistake I made. I hope there would be a wedding.'

Malora felt the hollowness spread through her body. It doesn't matter, she told herself fiercely. So what if her sister would be disappointed?  All that counted was her baby would be cured. Malora would forget this one in time and marry someone else, another who would not consider her so lowly that she was only fit to be hidden away like a dirty little secret. Someone with a beautiful heart.

*

Back at One Hyde Park, Malora lounged on the expensive gold and cream sofa, when she got a message on her drug dealer phone. It was from Titan. He indicated that he was taking her out for dinner by eight.

Since it was just a few minutes to seven, she decided to call her Mika—best friend—who was vacationing in Russia.

'Hey, Malora,' Mika said, her voice sounding all breathy.

'Did I catch you at a bad time, Mika?'

'Uh. . .what? No. No. I'm good
What's up?'

Malora knew her friend was up to something, but she let it go. Mika would tell when she was ready. 'I finally got enough money to send Louis to America.'

Mika gasped. 'You finally went through with it?'

'Yes, I did,' Malora said.

'I need a fag, hold on.' There was sounds of rustling, after a while, Mika continued, 'I don't believe it!  The bastard agreed to cough up fifty grand?'

'Actually, it wasn't him.'

Malora imagined her friend holding up a hand like she did whenever she was confused. 'Back up, back up. What?'

'OK, I did ask him, but he turned out to be a total pervert; you won't believe what his idea of a good time is. Fortunately, someone else cut in and gave triple of what I had asked him.'

'Bloody hell!' screamed Mika.

'Keep your voice down,' she whispered.

'Triple, as in two hundred thousand pounds?'

'Yes.'

'So who is this guy then?'

'Have you heard of the Pitts?'

'Who? Hold on, don't answer that. I am getting my laptop right now.'

Malora patiently waited for her friend to set up her laptop. The other end of the line seemed quiet except for Mika's breathing. Then she whistled low and long. 'Oh! Mr. Bombastic, call me fantastic. I thought all the best-looking males were gay?'

Malora flushed. She bit her lower lip and advised, 'check Wikipedia.'

'Holy shit, Malora! I leave you for a week and you've gone and bagged yourself a billionaire? One whose family owns a banking and financial services dynasty?' Mika seemed to be reading aloud from what she was reading. Malora let her. 'They even own palaces, wineries, yacht racing luxury hotels, grand houses, charity homes. . .they even collect art?'

Malora made a noise that would have passed as humming had it passed her lips.

'These people are fucking elusive. No news of them in media. They are like the freaking mafia! So much information about all they own, fucking marriages from the seventh century. . .and check this one out. Their assets as at 2018 is one hundred billion! My God, Malora!