15 | School's Unknown | 15

Karl POV

One Day after burying Tommy and Toby

"We have school today, Karl. You have to leave my room at some point anyway." Nick protested from behind me. I only ignored his insisting tone, staring directly at the wall.

We both stood in silence after Nick's words, but eventually I received a heavy sigh from Nick due to my silence.

"I.. I understand. I'll go, I'm sorry." Nick's tone broke and I heard heavy footsteps. I immediately assumed they were headed for the door and my eyes widened at that.

I spun around, sprinting toward Nick and grabbing his sleeve. I held it tight, clinging to Nick's chest. "Please don't leave." I murmured almost silently.

"I- I wont.. sorry." Nick hesitated with his usual stutter. I hid a small silent within the cloth of the hoodie, but soon dropped it after we began walking out the door.

"Oh, and stop apologizing! It pisses me off.." I finally let his hoodie go, crossing my arms in an embarrassed defense.

"Oh.. I'm sor-, I mean, okay." Nick stuttered stronger this time, I could feel his nervousness and I bared a smile to that.

"I guess we're walking." I shrugged after realizing we'd been walking the entire time. Nick nodded, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly whilst staring at his phone.

"What's the problem?" I questioned, turning my attention to his phone. I began reading over his shoulder but I couldn't make out many words.

"My friend Clay, he sent me a link to some story. It's called 'Backyard Business.'" Nick responded, scrolling through the site. I gave up on trying to read since he was breezing through the words so quickly. "It has names similar to ours. Pretty weird if you ask me. Who's honkmarris anyway?"

"I don't know, dude. Probably some creep on the internet. Just ignore it or else we're gonna be late." I insisted, grabbing his wrist and beginning to run only dragging him behind me.

Technoblade POV

"Skeppy, what's the running with the Knov leader? They're still rounding up people?" I sternly asked, walking through the halls of my home.

"He insists on killing Karl because of what happened a few days back. He wants you to hand Karl over and he'll surrender his land." Zak explained, persistent with his words but careful. I nodded, consuming the information.

I can't afford to sacrifice Karl to the Knovs. He's our best hitman and has the highest agility out of everyone here. I most definitely can't afford to take that risk.

"What did they say they'd do if we don't hand over Karl?" I asked, attempting to spark a new idea within the depths of my thoughts.

"He threatens to come and kill you himself if you don't hand him over within a week." Zak reported, keeping his persistence just as much as before. I sighed, shutting my eyes.

"Tell Bad to send him a message. Skeppy, tell him I said..."

"...Go fuck yourself."

Karl POV

"Nick! Where were you the whole weekend?" A blonde haired, freckle covered boy came rushing from behind me and Nick. I didn't recognize him at all. He wore a white surgery mask covering his mouth with a drawn on smiley face decorated on it. He accompanied the outfit with a yellow hoodie with a white logo on it.

"Clay! I haven't seen you in what feels like forever!" Nick exclaimed, turning around and giving the boy a hug. I felt a slight hint of rage.

"I almost didn't recognize you because of the outfit!" Nick continued.

Who are you?!

"Oh, right! You met Clay, didn't you Karl?" Nick finally gave me a hint of attention and I forced a grin to the unrecognizable boy.

"Yeah.. sure.." I hesitantly nodded, holding back my rage in favor of Nick. I held out my hand for him to shake.

"Sorry, I'm not shaking your hand."

i'll kill you.

"What's wrong with you today, Clay?" Nick asked in quite the annoyed tone, defending me. I bragged with stupid faces from a position only Clay could see. I noticed him bat an annoyed eye at me.

"Nothing! Can I talk to you real quick, Nick?" The boy asked, struggling to ignore me. I crossed my arms, turning my head towards the floor.

"I'm sorry, Karl. I'll be right back. Promise." Nick turned to me, setting a hand on my shoulder but quickly being dragged away from me by the unknown.

The boy dragging Nick flashed me a look that read, 'don't follow us.' I showed him an aggressive middle finger as Nick wasn't looking.

I'm quite a few things but an idiot isn't one of them. Of course I'm going to follow them.

I brushed myself off, walking down the same hallway they did. At first, neither of them noticed which I took in my favor. Quickly, the unknown began to catch on to him being followed. It didn't phase me, though.

"In this classroom." The unknown pointed to an empty classroom. Quickly, the both of them headed inside, leaving the door ever so slightly cracked. I assumed it was purposefully but I took the advantage.

"We all know Karl's a criminal." The unknown immediately spoke, rolling his eyes with the sentence. I noticed Nick break a sweat and I tensed to that. "Now that we're on the same page here, he's using you. Controlling you, Nick."

"What are you talking about?" Nick balled a fist, tensing even further. I could tell he was uncomfortable just from the tone of the room.

"He doesn't actually want to be friends with you. You're a shield to him. Just someone to take the bullet for him." Clay persisted with his words. I tightened my grip on the edge of the wall, ready to jump in.

"Why do you think he didn't protect you a few days ago when you could've died?" He eventually reached a stop, cursing himself for speaking that far. I batted an eye and Nick's eyes widened.

"How do you know about that?" Nick walked towards him, fists balled up. He looked furious. I've actually never seen him so rage filled.

"I- I was just- speaking nonsense..-" He covered himself up with quite the obvious of a lie. I reached my limit, opening the door and walking inside silently. They both looked at me but Nick quickly turned his attention back to the other boy.

"I'm gonna ask you one more time, Clay."

"How.. the hell.."

"Do you know about that?"

•+ Song For This Chapter +•
~ afraid ~ edit audio ~