3 | Indirect Flirting | 3

Sapnap POV

"So let me get this straight, you're friends with.. Karl?" Clay slowly asked for about the fifth time today. I rolled my eyes, smiling to myself at the mention of his name.

"Yes. I'm friends the THE Karl Jacobs." I reassured him, adding a hint of exhilaration to my words. Clay shook his head in disbelief.

"You're kidding." He responded, looking me up and down. "You, Nick. Friends with Karl Jacobs, one of the most popular boys at our school."

"Yes." I nodded again, breaking into laughter. "I'm not kidding. You don't think I'm cool enough?"

"Okay, okay. I believe you for now, but if this is a prank, Nick.." Clay continued on, turning the corner of the hall and entering the cafeteria with me.

A loud wave of noise hit us both. The wave consisted of screaming teenagers, gossiping and other obnoxious noises that were heard in every highschooler's cafeteria.

"It's not!" I cut him off before he could finish. He gave me an interesting look, but I ignored him, walking over to Karl's table.

"Hi Karl." I greeted him immediately. I tried to be cool about it but it was relatively difficult to hide my enthusiasm.

"Nick!" He smiled up at me, signaling the fact that he had saved a seat for me right next to him.

"Oh!" I sat down, giggling.

I looked at him with an embarrassed smile and he returned a sly laugh at my facial expression. I noticed his face turn red. I couldn't tell if he was blushing or really hot. All I knew was, it had caused my face to do the exact same. We stared at each other for a moment.

Is this indirect flirting?

"HOLA!~ NICK!" One of the boys at the table called out to me with an obviously forced Mexican accent. I took my eyes away from Karl, laying eyes on a dark haired boy with a beanie.

"Oh- Uh.. hi!" I responded, doing a slight wave. The boy smiled at me, taking out his phone and setting it on the table.

"My name's Alex, man! But you can call me Quackity." He continued on with the extreme accent.

I felt myself laughing at how forced it was. I nodded my head at him, attempting the signify the fact that I'd be up to call him that.

Alex grabbed his phone, scrolling through it. I turned my attention to Clay for a split second. He seemed to already be connecting with 3 of the other boys at the table. I smiled at that, finally turning back to Karl.

"Hi!" I laughed, looking him in his charming eyes.

"Hello!" He chuckled, returning the glance.

"What are you into?" I tried to spark a conversation with a burden of nervousness that I wouldn't come off too strong or too weak.

"You mean what's my type in men?" He joked, looking me up and down with a smirk. I felt my face go red.

"No, kinky." I rolled my eyes, trying to hide the red on my face and giggling to myself at his response. "What do you like to do in your spare time? Like what's your hobbies?"

"Well.." I could hear him thinking. He stared into space, quickly taking a glance at me and sighing. "I have to show you something."

"What's up?" I questioned with a concerned smile. I felt him lay a palm on my wrist, picking me off of my seat and practically dragging me out of the cafeteria.

"What? Where are we going?" I asked, forcing my legs to keep up with his speed. I didn't receive an answer but I automatically assumed it would be negative.

"Karl?" He eventually came to a halt, setting us both in the boys bathroom. I looked around quickly, but primarily turning my attention to Karl.

"When I show you this, you have to promise you won't tell anyone. I'm trusting you a lot right now, even though I just met you." He dug in his pocket for a while. I assumed the worst.

What if he vapes? What if he has drugs? What if he pulls out a knife?

I stood frozen. Taking frantic deep breaths with each glance at him.

No, Nick. Stop being so pessimistic. What if it's just a little hobby that he doesn't want anyone to know of?

He pulled out a crumbled piece of paper.

"Oh." I sighed in relief. Looking at the bunched up mystery paper, I couldn't help but to let out a small smile.

"What? Did you think I had a gun or something?" He laughed, smiling at me. I laughed along awkwardly. He must've read my thoughts from a single glance.

"This is a map of our town." He fixed the crumbled paper, laying it flat on a dry part of the sink. The edges were a bit torn, as well as the middle had a hole in it.

"A map?" I turned my head slightly with an innocent eye. He looked at me and smiled.

"At night, sometimes I go out.. and do things normal teenagers don't do." He beated around the bush, shrugging his shoulders. I looked at him with a puzzled eye. What he said didn't clear any fog in my mind.

"I'll show you, tonight. Meet at my house around midnight, alright?" He finally confessed, reading my facial expressions and picking up the raggedy map, returning it to his pocket. I obviously agreed out of curiosity.

We both left the bathroom, joking with one another on the way back to the lunch room. I felt my heart light up every time he let out a laugh at one of my jokes. I felt like I could be myself around him.

I always thought popular kids were rude and annoying. Nothing but a headache to the unpopular kids. At least, that's what the movies tell me.

I guess I was wrong. Karl isn't like any of the popular kids I've ever met.

Karl isn't like anyone I've ever met.

•+ Song For This Chapter +•
~ bubblegum bitch ~ marina and the diamonds ~