21. Coffee Shop

Running hurts again. I haven't done it in a couple days and I ate shit food for a while.

"This isn't worth it. I havent lost weight doing this shit since I was 17."

So I've learned when I'm alone I talk to myself like I'm not alone. Which sucks becuase if someone is here and I dont know, they get to listen to some weird ass conversations with myself.

I stop and breathe for a moment. I look up and see the stream of water I run across over every day. I walk and sit on one of rock by the edge.

"Elissa you've gotten yourself in some trouble." I pick up a rock and throw it in. I nod to myself and I chuckle. "If only Jo could see where you are today." I think about her. She didnt deserve to die so young. She would of loved the compound. My breathing becomes shaky. My mind races. I can picture Jo jumping in the stream and splashing around. I can see her smile and laugh.

"I miss you Jo." A tear runs down my face and I look up at the sky. It was clear today but still a little chilly. I get up and walk back to my path. After walking across the stream, I start to run again. I stop after about 5 minutes when I hear yelling coming from a clearing a little ways off the path.

"You should just keep running elissa. Do not go over and spy on them." I pause and think to myself. Maybe if i go a little closer I can know who it is. It's not as bad as knowing what they are talking about, right?

I step a little closer and lean on a tree.  Is that Sam? Steve? I can't tell if they are arguing or just having an conversation. I decide to walk away and keep running. If Steve found out that I was spying on him, he would question my trust in him.

Oh wow..

How..

Convenient..

I wonder what Steve was thinking of when he was spying on me. Is he crazy? I shouldn't be mad right? I mean his first love was Peggy and he waited too long for that. He says he loves me, so maybe he just wanted to make sure I'm not gunna leave him? Honestly no clue.

Before I knew it, I'm back at the compound and out of the woods. I walk towards the door and Bruce stands outside it.

"13 minutes!" He smiles at me.

"I can't tell if that's good or not." I laugh at him. He opens the door for me and we walk in.

"For an almost 3 miles run, it's pretty good."

"Well I stopped like 2 times. I heard people yelling or talking out in a clearing." I open the door to Bruce's lab and I sit up on the table.

"Do you know what they were talking about?" Bruce hooks me up to the machine to test my vidals.

"I dont know. I didnt stay long enough to listen. I think it was Steve and Sam though." Bruce glances at me then back at the screen.

"You know, Nat and I were talking last night." He swipes the screen and more sciencey stuff pops up. "We saw you and Steve so happy before your accident. It was sad to hear that you guys arnt even giving it a chance." He stops and looks at me. I remember the dinner party we had. I remember the feeling I got when Steve and I first became a couple. I wish I could tell him that we actually are together.

"I know. I remember the party and it was a difficult decision but... it was for the team." I look down at my legs dangling.

"That's one of the reasons why Nat and I arnt dating." I look up at him confused.

"Didnt you guys go on a date last night?"

"It wasnt a date. As much as I love her, we are both dangerous people and always have to watch our backs. So I understand where you and Steve are at." We both nod. The machine beeps and he unhooks me.