27. Veronica

After a 3 days of psych evaluations and multiple lab testing, they finally let me go of the straps on my bed. I'm so tired of having the nurses spoon feed me. Literally.

Steve has tried to come talk to me. I've told the nurses that I dont want to talk to anyone. I wouldnt be able to look at Steve and I wouldnt want him to see me strapped down like some animal. Only Tony has come visit me. He brought me potstickers but he butchered them. He somehow burned a couple while others were still cold inside. They must be starving over there.

My idea of leaving hasnt changed just... I think of it less. It's like when your a teenager who gets made at their parents. At the moment I just want to pack up everything and run. Then over time you just deal with them. I still want to run. I want to run away from here so fast. I just know it's kind of fading a little bit.

Finally standing feels so great. I cant stand up on my own yet. Either a nurse helps me or Tony.

"Ma'am would you like to walk around the hospital floor?" My nurse comes and helps me up.

"Thankyou. I'd love that." We take a couple steps and I grip her shoulder tightly. "Im sorry."

"As long as you dont burn me, you can grip as hard as you want." We both laugh. I've been getting closer to her lately. Her name is Veronica. Shes only a couple years older than me.

"So I've heard Tony talking.." We exit my room and walk to the hallways railing. "I'm sorry about what happened to you. That sounds horrible."

"Trust me, I've had worse. It's ok." I smile at her and her face turn red.

I tremble for a second and she grabs my waist and my hand to keep me up. "I got you." I look up at her. She stands infront still holding me. My lips press together and I look at her face. She's a little taller than me but not like Steve is. Her skin is like cocoa brown with a couple freckles on her nose. Her eyes are hazelnut brown. I never noticed that before.

"Thankyou." My voice is quiet. All I can see at the moment is stare at her. She smiles at me and her teeth are like pearly white. Why are they so perfect?

"I have an idea." She slides her other hand to my waist and turn to the side of me. She holds my hand and the other one still holds the wall railing. She walks us to the edge of the floor where huge windows overlook the city. She sits me on a bench and we just sit there looking.

"This is beautiful." The sky is dark and the city is so bright. I turn to her and she has a big smile on her face.

"I thought you might like it." She nods at me."This is the first time I've seen you with a smile this big on your face." She chuckles.

"I know I'm not the happiest person." I nudge her with my elbow. She smiles then looks at her hands which are folded on her lap.

"Steve has been asking about you." My smile disappears and I go back to looking out these bug windows.

"I know."

"Why don't you see him?"

I take a big sigh.

"I cant....I'm not ready to see him after what I did." She stays quiet for a minute.

"Everhtime I check up on him, he asks how you are. Excpecially today." I look up at her confused.

"Why today?"

"He was checked out today. Did Tony not tell you yesterday?" I shake my head no.

"Oh." She looks at the city.

"I'll be out of here soon, though. I wont be your problem anynore."

She looks down at her hands again. "Yeah.." I look at her and she looks sad. I reach over and grab her hand which still lays on her lap. We make eye contact.