Chapter 45

My eyes couldn't believe who I saw it.

"Dad," I say, not sure if in disgust or shock. It is too hard to face the truth. Adele was on top of him, his neck stained with her red lipstick.

"Cassidy." He jumps when he sees me standing next to Jason. Adele almost falls to the floor and fixes her dress when she looks at me. She has no words to say anything. "Jason, I thought you were grounded." she swallows hard. 

"I guess I was, mom."

"Cassidy, you're supposed to be sleeping at my place."

 My heart races while looking at them, and I can't move an inch. How long do they see each other? Is this the reason why my mother left and never looked back?

"Honey, it is not what you are thinking," my dad says. What am I thinking? I don't even know what I am thinking about now. Tears sting my eyes and the deep inside of my throat. 

"You did that on purpose, right?" her angrily accusation faces Jason.

"Wait." I am more in shock now. "Jason, did you know about this?"

"Yes, Cassie. I knew about this for a while." 

"Since when?"

Silence. "Since when?" I yell, demanding answers. 

"I knew the shit was going to hit the fan," he burst out. "But mom, I didn't do that on purpose. I tried to convince her to come back home with me. She didn't want to come over, and Cassie," he looks at me. I see a shed of tears coming down his eyes, "Yes, I know this for a while, but it isn't my place to say it to you. I wanted to tell you. I tried to tell you today because I didn't think it was..."

"No more words!" demands Adele. But before she finishes, I run through the door as fast as I can.

***

I am back at Reese's bar. "Hey, Cassidy. Guess what?" Reese's son approaches me with a big smile across his lips. "My dad went to Seattle for an emergency. Tonight is the night. I will open the Underground as soon as I close this shit hole full of drunks. Can you invite the other kids to come in?" 

I look at the drunken men sitting on their stools, one passed out on the counter.

"Aren't you going to close at one or two in the morning?"

"Hell, not. I will tell them in about twenty minutes they need to get the hell out."

"I'm not in a good mood today," I tell him.

"Why not? You and Jason, big brothers at heart, not going to tell me that shit." The word big brothers at heart hit me hard. Does he know about my father and Adele, too. If he does, how many more people in this town know about them? And for who else do I have to play the good girl?

"How am I going to invite the entire town to be here in about twenty minutes? I'm not a wonder woman. Jesus."

"Tell them that Molly and Adam are here."

"Who the hell are these people?"

"You'll get to know them soon, now move your ass. Just don't invite Jessa. She looks like a twelve-year-old, and she is too conservative. She will tell her mother, and I'll be in trouble."

I have nothing to lose. If my father can get away with whatever he is doing, I can get away it, too.

 I leave the bar, not entirely sure who will want to come over with me. Alex lives down the street, and he is totally cool with parties. His sister is a bitch, though. Then, there is a part of me who doesn't want to be seen walking around. I know Martin is probably looking for me, and so does  Jason, Jessa, and their cousins. And my father. And Adele, the woman I knew my entire life and trusted to death.