Chapter 20

The landlord is standing in front of me, her huge eyes behind the coke bottle glass glaring in my direction.

Scarlet pulls her sleeves off her shirt as Mr. Dude hisses at her. I can't believe she is here, standing next to Adelyte.

"Oh, I thought you were working until four," I tell Scarlet. I look at the clock hanging on the kitchen wall. Three-thirty. Her ego seems to boost every time I'm caught in the middle of something I don't wish to share with her.

"Jeff said he needed more hours, so he came in earlier to start his shift," she says with a serious expression. The landlord stares at Maroney, and Meggie, and me as if we were aliens coming from planet X.

Scarlet has become my karma, if not my curse. She comes to find me in the good and bad moments, only to remind me she is still here, watching me out. It's my fault, though. I'm paying for something bad I'd done to others.

I'm paying for hurting people who never deserved being hurt.

Jason, Jessa, and Adele. Then my father and my mother. Eddie and Edmund. Martin. The list goes on and on. I think of all the names that can come to my mind, even granny Gigi.

Yes, I hurt them all.

The cat is the only creature screaming. If Mr. Dude weren't a male, I would think he was a lady in the hit.

Adele finally speaks, "What the hell is going on here, Cassidy?"

"What do you mean?" I ask every time Mr. Dude frees himself from Meggie's arms to hiss and threat Scarlet and the landlord.

She points at the cat, "About this."

"Oh, sure. The cat." I suddenly remember pets are not allowed in this building.

"We can hear this cat all the way from East Washington Avenue," Scarlets adds while crossing her arms around her chest.

"I apologize," I manage to say.

"Do you need to take a closer look at your signed lease?" Adele shows the binder in her hands, probably containing my paperwork.

I shake my head, "No."

"Is Taylor Junior here?"

"No."

"Does he know did you bring the cat?" I pray Adelyte doesn't demand me to pay any penalties. TJ will kill me if that happens. Besides, my parents will never forgive me—another stupid choice of mine.

"I'm sorry. This won't happen again." I look at Meggie, but she doesn't say anything. I guess there is nothing to say. Rules are rules, and I should have followed the book.

"You can't bring animals here. What about a small fishbowl with a golden fish?" Adelyte reminds me.

"Yes, that's a great idea," adds Scarlet. "A friend of mine used even to have an albino frog."

Ugh.

Maroney cut Scarlet off by looking straight at Adelyte, "I'm sorry, ma'am. This isn't her fault. I was the one who brought the cat here without letting her know. Adelyte and Scarlet stare at Maroney skeptically, "By the way, I'm just about to go, right, Mr. Dude?" he plays with the feline, who still appears to be distressed when Scarlet slowly approaches and take a peek of the apartment.

"So, as I'm leaving now, would you mind giving me two minutes so I can wrap things up?" Maroney asks Adelyte.

"One minute, not two," answers Scarlet for the landlord.

"Are you the landlord?" Maroney politely challenges Scarlet, and her eyes widened.

"I'm her supervisor."

"I'm asking if you are the landlord, miss. You didn't quite answer my question," he demands an answer for her, and I exchange glances with Meggie. Scarlet's skin turns tan to pale in a matter of a second. Meggie and I keep watching them in silence.

"She is the landlord," she points to Adelyte, "And I'm her supervisor."

He ignores her, directing himself to Adelyte, " I apologize for the inconvenience, Ma'am, but do you mind if I have two minutes to wrap things up? Here is my card," he pulls a business card out of his wallet. "Isn't this building related to Mr. Becker's company?"

"Oh, yes. He is my husband," Adelyte confirms, surprised he knows her spouse. We are the Becker," she proudly says, reading Maroney's business card with her thick glasses.

"Oh, great. My father worked as a real state for so many years before your husband bought that big house at Mifflin street. It was my dad who found for him the house."

The woman breaks into a smile, "Oh yeah. I remember now. You were just a little boy when that happened, and he even brought you along with him so we could check things out. And we love that house. We even host exchange students sometimes thanks to the extra rooms," the excitement is clear on her expression as she fixes her glasses behind her nose. "What about thirty minutes to wrap things up? Unfortunately, we do not accept pets in this building, and neighbors tend to get quite touchy about that."

Scarlet face falls.

"Besides, it looks like the place is nice and neat," she says after taking a glance. The cat has calmed down, "I don't believe this small animal will cause property damage in such a short time." she looks at Maroney, "Say hello to your parents for me."

"I will. My father will be happy to hear from you." Fast enough, the landlord leaves, and Scarlet stays.

"Cassidy, could you work for me on Tuesday? You know, I have a few things to do this coming week," She tries to ask nicely when the landlord is out of sight.

"I don't think so."

"Why not? I'm a salary." she looks indignantly at me. "I get paid the same amount regardless of the number of hours I work per week. You can get more money as you add extra shifts."

"I have forty hours a week already. Sylvia doesn't want to pay me overtime. Besides, it is my day off, Scarlet, so I'm staying home at this time." I tell her bluntly.

She doesn't appear to like my answer, so she glares at Meggie, "Weren't you sick to work today, Meggie? What are you doing here?"

"This is between Sylvia and me."

Ouch.

"I deserve to know. I'm still your supervisor."

"I'm not on my shift, as you can see. So, it would help if you weren't here harassing me at Cassidy's place. "And yes, you're my supervisor at Sophie's. But when I'm not at my shift, you have no right to tell me what to do. And the same should be for Cassidy."

She glances at Maroney and me, "Remember our conversation earlier today, Cassidy. The conversation about seeing customers outside the workplace. We'll talk about that later."

"So, if you're talking about me, I'm no longer a customer. Saturday afternoon was my last day at Sophie's, and since today I've decided I'm going to Starbucks from now on. That's nothing to do with Meggie or Cassidy. I'm the one paying for, so I decide where I want to be."

Ouch.

***

Please vote and comment if you like it :)