Chapter 9

"Cassidy," TJ knocks on the bedroom door. "Someone is here for you."

I open my eyes, checking the clock sitting on my nightstand. It is 7:30 in the morning. Who is here at this time of the day? "Who is it?" I ask him, my head sinking on the pillow.

"Some freak. She said she is your boss," TJ whispers through the door.

Scarlet. I rub my eyes and do what any good employee does. Get up quickly and wear their clothes, make themselves presentable enough, brush their teeth, and wash their face before heading to the door to greet the supervisor. But to my surprise, her appearance is even more outstanding than mine. Scarlet is still in pajamas. Pinocchio Pajamas.

It is Wednesday. I worked double shifts at Sophie's from Sunday to Tuesday. Meggie and Jeff have yet to show up to their changes. They claimed to have the flu. Also, Meggie never answered the phone for not feeling well enough to talk. She only texted a few times to say she was doing okay and that Mike and her were over.

"' Hi," I say.

"You look like shit," Scarlet tells me bluntly. TJ raises his eyebrows as he finishes cooking his breakfast meal. It is his day off, too, and he is preparing to sit at the table. He likes his morning peaceful, but I guess Scarlet will not make my life easy. "I don't know why Mike wants you there."

"I was sleeping," I explain. I wonder what she wants and wishes to go back to bed.

"You should be at work today."

"I'm surprised, "Sylvia said I don't work today."

"Mike texted me and said you do." I can tell she is pissed off by how she looks at me. TJ sighs when he's ready for his first bite.

"I am tired," I admit.

"Tired? It would be best if you still started classes. How will you keep up with Sophie's classes at the same time this fall? Now, do yourself a favor and wear your uniform."

I don't know what to do. But I know I don't feel like working. An extra cash wouldn't hurt me, though. "Okay, I'm going to get my shirt."

"Don't step hard on the carpet before returning to your room."

"Excuse me?" I am starting to realize this girl has a severe issue on her head.

"I have sensitive ears, including sex moans and footsteps. When I'm not the one doing it, of course."

"Did I hear the word sex? Really? Who is the guy, Cassidy?" TJ sounds curious. He can keep to himself until something picks up his interest. The word sex played in his ears like a melody.

"No one," I defend myself.

"Not her," tells Scarlet. "I mean, in general. The girl before her used to do it all the time. But she has someone dying to do it with her. I heard he had already shown up at Sophie's this morning for a coffee and a muffin. He seemed disappointed you were not there. Mike is not happy about that. He told the guy to go away and leave you alone."

"Oh."

"Who is this guy?" TJ brings the scrambles to his plate and sits on the table. It smells tasteful, and I'm frustrated I have to go for an extra shift at Sophie's. Do I have to work with Mike again?

"Some hippie boy who fell madly in love with her. Don't worry. Mike put him in his place. He won't come back. ...and regarding the footsteps on my sensitive ears, I sometimes feel I'm dealing with a T-REX rather than a human living above my apartment. Even the water vibrates inside my cup whenever Cassidy or you step onto this carpet. "

"You make a pardon?" TJ looks up and down at her. He shoots her a long look.

She opens her hands to explain, "I don't mean to offend you, dude. I know you work hard most days, and you're never here. I don't know if Cassidy is exercising or what. Zumba class, maybe? Remember you live on the second floor. I live right below you."