Chapter 4

Denver pulls me closer to him as we enter the club bar with the approval of two bouncers. "How did you do that?" I ask and his answer was not to worry about it. 

Meggie waves at me from a distance and I see she is sitting on the bar stool with a guy. Denver and I cut the crowd to meet them, loud music blasting into my ears. Sparrow is so packed, Denver grabs me by the hand, guiding me in the right direction.

The bar is crowded, too. I don't blame the girls who refuse to leave the bar. Shirtless bartenders run from one side to another, taking drink orders from customers. Meggie opens her arms big to hug me.  She is wearing a tight black dress, showing off her gym-knit legs. She appears to be tipsy. 

"Would you like anything to drink?" The guy sitting next to her shoots me a flirting look. He appears to be older than twenty-one but less than twenty-five.

"I'm good, thank you," I say politely. 

"So..." he stares at me. "Are you one of those girls with a no drinking policy rule?" The question brings me a concern. Peer pressure. I know that well. I shoot a look back at him.  

 "What are you afraid of?" Denver asks and Meggie doesn't stop neither of the boys.  

"I don't feel like drinking tonight," I say. 

One of the shirtless bartenders comes by and it is nearly impossible not to notice his perfect abs when he leans on the counter. "Another Scotch, Aaron," Mike points to his almost empty glass.

"Sure," Aaron says without thinking twice. The bartender grabs another glass and fixes Mike a scotch. Mike drinks just like water. 

"Wow," Denver says, watching how Mike throws alcohol into his throat. 

Mike doesn't seem to mind. "Are you going to offer your girlfriend a drink, Griffin?" Mike asks with bloodshot eyes. 

"I could, but she already said no." Denver stares him back.

"You are such a gentleman," Meggie compliments Denver. She pulls her hair aside, showing off a butterfly tattoo on the side of her neck. 

"I'm not his girlfriend," I fix Mike's words. I want to be clear Denver and I are not hooking up.

"Never say never," Mike laughs under his breath. His comment makes me uncomfortable, but I don't show anyone how I feel. Denver comes closer. I do my best to create distance between us. Will he ever get the hint that I am not into him? I clench my hands under the bar chair, wishing my dress had pockets to hide them inside. 

"Cassie. I have some edibles if you prefer." Mike continues, his tone annoying. 

"What?" I a confused with his question. I don't know him and I am not so sure how Meggie could pick someone like him as her date. He seems arrogant and entitled. 

"He's giving you a hard time," Meggie laughs, "Mike, leave the girl alone."

"My name is Cassidy," I tell him. "Not Cassie."

Mike's surprised face appears, "OH. Like that girl from the Hunger Games?" He raises an eyebrow waiting for my answer. Aaron gives Mike another Scotch before handing Denver a bottle of beer.

"That one is Katniss, babe. Katniss Everdeen." Meggie wraps her hands over Mike's.

"Oh yeah, honey. You are right. That woman was a smart ass. I wish the world had more women like her."

I doubt. I thought. I am not sure if Mike's comment is funny or amusing but then we are suddenly squeezed in together by a group of drunks that jump into the bar area. I fell in between Denver and Mike when I hear the comment, "Hum, you smell good." I jump when Mike touches my back, not caring if Meggie is there. I also sense his expensive cologne blended with musk and spice scent mixed with Denver cheap one. Meggie is a little too drunk now to even realize Mike's closeness toward me. Denver steps in quickly, taking over his space.

"My friends are here," Meggie says in excitement when she sees three girls dancing on the floor.