Chapter 24

"You'll never be the employee of the month, Cassidy," Scarlet says as she plays with a strand of her hair. She then unwraps a muffin, bringing it to her mouth. Sometimes I ignore Scarlet. If I ignored her long enough, she moves on to the next task.

She continues, "You might think you have cleaned this place well, but you forgot to stock a few items, including one of the most important things: napkins." I ignore her by cleaning the counters and looking for something to do.

Then I head toward one of the tables where there is a spilled coffee. I feel the warm rag in my hands that provide me some comfort, but yet she follows me around, "I want to ask you something if you don't mind."

"Go ahead." I'm wondering what she is going to ask me now.

"What's the name of that guy? The one visiting you here the other day?"

"Huh?" I jump with her question. I don't know where she is going with this. I spray the counter with a cleaning product before rubbing it with the warm rag that goes quickly cold with the central air conditioner above my head. The table is white and shining again, free from spilled milk and coffee.

"I'm referring to the guy wearing a tie-dye shirt. I saw him walking on State street with some weird dudes. I don't like him. He blew smoke on my face when I walked past him."

I'm sure Denver isn't worried if Scarlet likes him or not. "He doesn't smoke cigarettes," I assure her, remembering my last conversation with him at the Bunker the other day. Hasn't he quit smoking?

" Who said he was smoking cigarettes? It was pot."

"Oh," I say without looking at her. I guess that's not my problem either.

"Cassidy, I'm serious," she tells me as she moves closer, bringing another rag to the table. There is nothing else to clean. "I'm wondering what the neighbors will think of you. One night you get home with this weird dude wearing a tie-dye shirt, and the next, you bring a customer home. How many times did I tell you not to get involved with clients? I'll have to report this to Sylvia."

"Okay."

"I'm not telling you to quit, Cassidy. But it becomes my concern when employees are taking customers home."

"Denver is not a customer, and I think Maroney said he used to be, but not anymore."

"Thank you for telling their name," a happy smile comes from her lips for collecting information out. "But, Cassidy, you have to agree with me that if this Denver guy or whatever he is called is not a customer, he shouldn't be here in the first place. Not during your shift."

"I did not invite him here."

"Then he is a stalker, Cassidy."

"Please, Scarlet." I finally tell her. I also gain the courage to ask her the question that has been bothering me for a couple of days. "Why did you call the landlord about the cat?"

She moves uncomfortably, "Adelyte? Because it is the right thing to do. We can't have pets in the building."

Just as I'm about to say something, Jeff storms through the door wearing a tight dirty shirt along with his old and torn apart backpack. "Sorry, I'm late," he says.

"As usual," Scarlet rolls her eyes at him. I continue to do my business while he clocks himself in on the computer and looks at the schedule hanging on the wall. "So, who am I working with this afternoon?"

"With me," I tell him.

"Thank god I'm working with you," he scoffs as Scarlet ignores his comment. Before she clocks out to leave, she heads to the back to finish the inventory.

"I'm going to fix myself an espresso. I need to wake up," he says while rubbing his eyes, wiping off the little crusty on the corners, "I slept at six in the morning." Then he grabs the tiny espresso cup, placing it under the coffee machine, and presses the start button. I hear the grinding sound of fine beans hitting through the cast metal and the whistling blow as the coffee brewing into the cup. The smell of fresh java is inviting.

"Make it two," I tell him. I usually don't drink coffee in the afternoons, but a boost of caffeine might help me to give me the extra energy for tonight. Maybe Maroney calls me or texts me since he already invited me over for a date tomorrow evening. Sophie's is practically empty, with only one customer working on his laptop.

Jeff begins as he sips his coffee, "Someone came here looking for you yesterday."

"Shhh..." I point with my chin to the back, where Scarlet is counting a few items. I don't want to get in trouble again with her.

"Oh, okay," he whispers. "What a bitch." I contain my laugh.

"Who came for me?" I ask in a lower voice. I hope it is not Denver since Scarlet is just about to report me for that.

He writes on a piece of paper. That's our new code. "Not sure. Some guy."

"Any message for me?" I write him back.

"No." he writes in capital letters, and I throw the paper in the garbage.

"He came here around seven," he whispers, and I'm baffled.

"Guy with a tie-dye shirt?"

"No. Good looking guy wearing nice and expensive clothes. Look, and I don't find guys to be good-looking. Ever," he smiles. I barely know anyone in this city, so I only can suspect that would have been Maroney looking for me. Why didn't he text or call me?

"It happened while I was waiting for Pizza Hut to be delivered," he chuckles. His tight shirt rolls up as he walks, exposing his giant belly. He grabs his apron and wraps it around his waist, but it barely fits him.

Scarlet appears carrying a tray with sugar packages, muffins, and napkins. She places them underneath the counter, organizing them in order. "Did I hear you say the word Pizza Hut, Jeff?" She breaks the silence with a question. He ignores her completely.

But she doesn't give up, "Jeff, this is a conversation I want to talk to you for a very long time. I want you to know that I've brought this issue to Sylvia's attention. It doesn't look professional for an employee to order meals from another food establishment."

"Sorry, ma'am. I didn't know Sophie's was competing with Pizza Hut."

"That's not the only problem here. We're the ones dealing with your mess the next day. Why aren't you taking the pizza home with you? Probably is because your house is already full of rats!"

"Sorry," Jeff apologizes, his attention now on his phone.

***

Please vote and comment if you like it :)