Chapter 48

Denver is sitting with his peers in one of the couches. His expression changes when he sees me. "Would you like some jelly shots?" asks one of the girls.

"No...thanks." TJ seems to find his friends, introducing me to one by one. Some of them seem to pick some interest in my life. A girl is sitting with Denver, her legs very close to his. She appears to be a few years older than him, but my heart races as she places her arms around him. The other two boys talk to them about something, and they laugh as they speak. From time to time, Denver stares at me, but I do my best to ignore him. TJ and the rest of the world are right about him. He kissed me today, and now he is here with another chick.

"Are you okay?" one of TJ's friends ask me. I nod, and he tries to push the conversation about the weather. TJ now has his attention on another girl. The college hasn't started, and so far, this fraternity party doesn't seem cool. The kitchen is crowded with people preparing drinks. Dan is holding a bottle of Green Goose, as Aaron is serving some of the girls a few of his special drinks.

"Cassidy," he smiles when he sees me.

"Hi."

"I didn't know you are friends with TJ."

"Yes, he is my roommate."

"Cool," he says as he finishes preparing a pink drink. A blonde chick thanks him and leave with the plastic glass. "Want one? This one is not too strong. It is made with pink lemonade."

"Sure," I say. I trust Aaron from most people here.

"So, I can see TJ is already flirting with that blonde chick. I can drive you home if he decides to go home with her." He offers.

"I think I should be fine. TJ would never leave me here."

"That I know. Denver is here, by the way."

I ignore his comment. TJ disappears with the girl, and so does Denver from the couch. The girl sitting next to him doesn't appear to be anywhere, either. What the heck?

"Can you find TJ?" I ask.

"He is right in front of you dancing with that girl."

I feel stupid not to realize he is practically next to me. But Denver...he doesn't seem to be near anywhere.

"I have to help a friend with something. I'll be right back." Arron tells me, and I nod.

I try to find a bathroom, but it looks like someone is locked inside. I hear the person throwing up through the closed door.

"Ohhhh," one girl says in disgust when she hears the person puking. "There is another bathroom upstairs." She tells me while pointing in the right direction.

I take the wooden stairs, but to my surprise, the first people I see is Meggie and Mike making out in the hallway. She appears to be drunk again, which I can't be surprised. As she sees me coming by, she turns her face away, smiling at him sarcastically.

"I think I might get sick," I hear her voice telling him, and I know she is talking about me. I pretend she is not there and walk past a few bedrooms with open doors, hoping I can get to the bathroom. I find the bathroom, hearing voices in the bedroom next to it. The door is closed with the smell of pot coming from underneath it.

I use the bathroom and tell myself I have to be strong before walking past Meggie and Mike again. The entire situation upsets me, and there is nothing I can do about it. If I tell her Mike is a liar, she won't believe me. And I shouldn't interfere. I enter one of the empty rooms and sit on the bed, my eyes scanning the desk and the many posters of beautiful destinations. There are plenty of places in the world to go. There is Cancun, Tokyo, and Brazil. Jason dreamed of going everywhere, somewhere he could go and just get lost.