Chapter 5

Meggie fixes her tight black dress around her waist. Her blonde hair is still intact despite her time on the dance floor.

"Here," She hands me her lipstick. Through the flickering lights, I can still see the color. Bright red.

"Thanks. I'm okay now," I say. Amaya, Danika, and Luna still move their hips on the dancing floor. Mike is back at the bar for another round of Scotch.

"What do you think about him?"

"Who? Mike?"

"Denver," Meggie laughs. Interestingly, I hadn't given too much thought about him, let alone talk about him. He isn't my type.

"I'm not hooking up with him if that's what you have in mind, Meggie," I wink at her. "Why did you give him my address, anyway?" The question is obvious. Why would she give my address to someone I didn't even know?

She taps on the table, "He's lonely. He broke up with his ex a few months ago, and I thought you guys could...you know."

The idea of him having an ex he was still thinking about made me repulsive. "We are not going anywhere. I will probably never see him again after tonight," Frustration takes over me as I explain this to Meggie.

"Why not? He likes you, and he's handsome."

"He's not my type," I remove a strand of hair from my eyes. "I wouldn't date him."

Meggie laughs, "Sometimes all we need is to give ourselves a chance. A chance to meet someone nice like Denver. You both have gorgeous eyes. Yours are hazel, and his are black."

Meggie is not the first person to compliment me on my hazel eyes. "So, what's the deal between you and..."

"Mike? We're friends, that's all."

I smile. Who is she lying to? I won't tell her that, even though she appears drunk. I gave her a look instead. The look a person gives to another when she doesn't sound convincing.

"Mike and I are just a fling...like forever. He knows that. I know that. Mike Winters is a lost cause. He will never fall in love."

***

Meggie disappears with Mike an hour later. I find a table in the corner where I can watch people dance under the flickering lights and entertain myself with it. I glance at Amaya and Luna swaying with the EDM song, their hips moving side by side, inviting multiple guys into their space like desperate vultures searching for meat.

"You look happy," Denver looks at me. I hadn't even realized he was there watching me. My hands suddenly clench over my dress.

"Yes, I guess so."

"Are you sure you don't want to dance with me after I get another beer?" He takes the last sip and places the empty bottle on the table.

"Okay," he finally convinces me.

"Sounds good," he says as he heads toward the bar. I join Luna and Amaya, but they don't last more than five minutes with me, "We're going for another smoking break. Want to come and share a cigarette with us?"

"I don't smoke," I say.

Next, I am left alone on the dance floor like I thought I was at the table. A handsome guy comes in and starts conversing with me, "Can I dance with you? What's your name?"

"Well, I'm not dancing, but that's fine. You can stay here. I'm Cassidy."

"I'm Daniel." The music is loud, but I can hear him speaking in my ears and feeling his warm breath through my neck.

"Cassidy is a beautiful name. I've never seen you here. First time?"

"Yes, first timer."

I don't know why, but I slightly flirt with this guy. He asks as many questions as possible to get to know me. I smile at him with every answer I give him. Somehow, it makes me feel good.