Chapter 53

My parents finally say good-bye before going to the hotel downtown, and surprisingly I'm left alone with TJ and Maroney without any concerns. I was planning on finishing some assignments tonight, but now I have Maroney to talk about things I don't want to talk about it. TJ takes off to his bedroom, and I don't hear anything about it. He barely acknowledges Maroney.

"I'm sure he is still upset with me about that incident."

"Are you surprised?"

"No," he is honest. "My head wasn't right at that time. I shouldn't have put that on you."

"Right," I say coldly.

He places his hands on the top of mine. "I wasn't lying to your parents about taking you to church on Sundays. Do you work this coming Sunday?"

"I guess I'm not working for a while," I say.

"Were you let go?"

"No, my boss recognizes that I need a break."

"A break is good. I was forced to take a break from work not a long time ago."

"Really?"

"Yes." He blinks. "You're not the only one, Cassidy."

"Why you didn't go to the frat party over Labor Day? Weren't you invited?"

"I don't go to parties on campus?"

"Ever?"

"No. I think I've told you that. Once in a while, I go out with my brother and his girlfriend. It is all I do."

"But you're so young. You're barely twenty-five."

"Maybe I've lived too much already."

"Your life shouldn't be over because of your ex."

"It is not only because of her. I found other things. I don't need the frat parties. When I go to a party, it is like something switches on my brain, and I can't stop."

"What's the problem then?"

"When you can't stop, and your personal life is affected, then something is wrong with it."

"I guess I never thought about it that way." I think about myself writing letters to Jessa since I moved from Chelan over four years ago. I have spent day and night writing page after page so the letters could go to her. Did she ever read a single letter?

"Well, my relationship with her used to be perfect, but then something changed. After we graduated from high school, she got a job at a bar. She met one girl a few years older than her who invited her over to another bar from that bar. She said she'd get paid a lot more tips. I didn't think it was a good idea when she told me. I told her it was too much as a promise, but she didn't listen. I knew the reputation of that bar. It was a strip club. But as long as she worked as a bartender, server, or whatever, I was okay with that. I was so stupid. I didn't hear my instincts. Night after night, she starts coming back later. All she cared about was the money. One day I showed up there as a surprise to find out she was working as a stripper. We had a big fight. She said the money was good and was paying for both of us. I let that happen and accepted, but then things went downhill after that."

"What happened?"

"The money started to disappear. Somehow, she was hooked on cocaine."

"Oh, I am sorry."

"I did everything I could, but the rest I prefer not to talk about it. It is too painful."

I place the hands on his shoulder. "It is okay, Maroney. It is okay."

Maroney places his hands over my legs in a respectful way, and I don't move even though the thought of his proximity makes me confused.

"Things are different now between us," I say honestly.

He looks at me, "Is this about the guy with puppy's eyes?"

"No, Maroney. This is about me. This is not about you, and this isn't about Denver."

"Too bad then. If this were about me, then it would have been something. I know that I hurt you, and I don't intend to do it again. There is a sunset boat tomorrow in the Dells. In fact, it is the last day before they close. Would you go with me?"

"I don't know."

"Look, I can pick you up after work. I work long hours tomorrow. What about you go to spend the day with your parents, and I come and pick you up around four? The boat departs around five, so we have some time together. There are a nice dinner and a couple who sings and plays acoustic guitar.

"Yes," I finally agree with the date.

"Maybe I can ask if Marcel would like to come over with Layla."

The thought of Layla coming over makes me more excited than spending a romantic time with Maroney.

"Okay, if you don't mind, I'd like to finish some of the assignments."

"I understand. If you're planning on reading Wuthering Heights, I can help with some questions. I place my tea over the table, but it is already cold. I took too long to drink it. "I already read Wuthering Heights," I confess.

"Oh."

"In fact, I read most literature books, including Little Women, Pride, and Prejudice, the Lord of Flies."

"That's the next book we're supposed to discuss."

"Which one?"

"Jane's Austen's."

I can't help but smile. I love her novels.

"I prefer Fifty Shades in this case. I would pick a modern novel over literature. I'm a dystopian kind of man. I'd better talk about The Giver and Maze Runner, for example. I even like Anne Rice novels. Vampire novel is my thing." He gazes at me intensely. "Not the crappy from TV."

The thought of me hiding from him that I watch Vampires Diaries often hits me. 

"I've watched the movie and read the book "Interview with the vampire."

"Oh, dear. You haven't read all her Vampire Chronicles." I don't tell him. I am stuck all day watching Vampire Diaries when I'm not working.

"No, should I?"

"Of course."

"I'll stick with my Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights now, just because it is a requirement for the semester. Then I will read the Chronicles whatever." I tell him. I start to enjoy myself around Maroney, but who knows for how long he can play the nice guy. His eyes are different than Denver's, and I guess I'd never paid attention to his dimples when he smiles. He leans over to kiss me, but I move away from him.

"I kissed someone else."

"Oh, you did?" He doesn't sound happy. I can tell by his expression. Then he raises an eyebrow, "Did you like it?"

"Yeah."

His eyes appear to change colors, but I know it is me imagining things.

"In this case, I'll see you tomorrow, Cassidy. A kiss is only a kiss. And I know this would never happen if I hadn't fucked up that day. Your parents seem to like me, so I guess this is a plus." He smiles. Maroney gets ready to leave, and I take him to the door. He pulls me back in the hallway when I am about to close the door, "Hey," he says with a soft voice. "Everything I've said is serious. I'm taking this seriously. I mean, us."

I nod and let him disappear through the stairs.