Chapter 50

The rest of the day went smooth, with Denver insisting that I go back to the fraternity house for the BBQ. I ensured I had my clothes organized and laundry folded for my school starting on Tuesday. Sylvia didn't seem to be so upset about me coming two hours late to work. She even insisted that I went back home since I only had two hours to finish my shift. She was singing her favorite song and reassured me that Scarlet suffers from anxiety, and I shouldn't take personally most things she says. I wanted to tell Sylvia how it is like living above her apartment, but I don't want to engage in gossip, so I don't let out.

"You don't need all this amount of clothes for school," Denver tells.

"I already have each outfit folded and separated from Tuesday till Friday this week."

"That seems exhausting enough."

"Are you going with this pair of shoes?" I point to his old pair. He hasn't laced them.

"What's the problem with my shoes?"

"They look so dirty and old. Can you lace them?"

"Oh yeah." Denver doesn't seem to care. Even his shirt is wrinkled. I am still tired from last night, and I'd rather take a nap than going to the BBQ. Aaron is passed out on the couch, and TJ is in his room.

"Have you ever tried Brazilian BBQ?"

"No. What's the difference?"

"The fraternity guys have bought big chunks of meat. Amaya, Luna, and my sister got the recipe for Brazilian potato salad and other things I don't remember the name. Maybe you should come over. Think about it."

"You are quite insistent, aren't you?"

"I don't give up on things I really want. Why should I? You're everything I want."

***

My alarm goes off, and I am not so certain I am ready for my first day at school. I find TJ in the kitchen brewing his coffee. 

"The first day at school, and I don't even have a car." He complains.

"Bummer. We can take the bus."

"Sure," he says as he takes the box of eggs out of the fridge to prepare his scrambles. I don't know how he can find space in his stomach after all that food from last night at the fraternity house. I can't even believe I came back there, to begin with, but Denver convinced me otherwise.

"So, are you going to tell me what's the deal between you and Denver?" he asks me with a smirk on the corner of his lips. "Don't take me wrong. I remember saying how Denver is not the right guy for you. I still don't think he is. However, he is not a bad person, either. I want to let you know this is your choice, not mine. Who am I to make such a decision in someone's life, anyway?"

"Thank you, TJ. I appreciate it.

I finally go back to my room to get dressed, looking myself in the mirror, and fixing my hair. By the time I finish everything, TJ has done eating, and we are out of the door. TJ has the bus App, and he knows exactly what time the next one is coming to pick us up. It doesn't take too long, and I m glad since it is chilly this morning. TJ and I take the back seat behind two drunk and homeless men arguing about who will panhandle at the state street today.

I find my way to the business campus with TJ while he takes another direction for his class. The class is filled with students, and I find my seat on the front. A girl wearing very bright red lipstick is sitting on the desk next to mine, but she doesn't acknowledge me or say hi when I sit. She chews gum like nothing in the world matter, a bruise on the side of her neck. All the other spots fill up quickly as the professor arrives on time, handing everyone the syllabus for the semester. This class seems much less stressful than the boarding high school when teachers had full control of everything, including watching out for the dress code.

As the professor explains working groups in selling techniques, I hear the door's click with a student interrupting the class. I am not surprised when I see Denver sitting on the back.

"Always late," says the girl sitting next to me, her gum still inside her mouth. This would never be allowed at the boarding school. I mean, it wouldn't be allowed to arrive late nor chewing gum.

"I thought he is a sophomore. What is he doing here?"

"For your question, I assume you know the guy."

"Sort of," I say, a little bit embarrassed. "Do you?"

"Of course, he used to fuck my girlfriend."

I let my mouth drop, but I don't have anything else to say. Whatever Denver does in his free time is not my problem, but the thought of it bothers me. I stay silent for the rest of the class but can't focus on what the professor says in class. My mind is somewhere else. My book falls on the floor, and someone grabs it. I want to tell Denver I don't need his help. I am perfectly capable of reaching out for my own belongings.

As I become face to face with the person in front of me, I can barely believe it. Instead of the dark eyes, I'm used to seeing it now. I'm faced with a pair of green ones.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm taking this class just like you. I should have taken it earlier, but I never did. I'm surprised to find you here," his voice has softened, not like that angry tone I dealt with last week.

"So, you are back at school..." I say, remembering Maroney had dropped it for a while due to some personal problems. Now I know it had to do with his legal separation.

"Yes, I'm back."

"I guess I'll see you later," I say, but he grabs my wrists. "Can we talk?"

"Here?" I swallow. "I don't think..." I look sideways and see Denver at the door outside, waiting for me. Maroney follows my eyes in my direction.

"I see..." he says, disappointment in his eyes.

"What?"

"The puppy's eye guy is waiting for you."

"What do you want, Maroney?"

He looks at me firmly, "I want to apologize. You're right the whole time, and I fucked up. I figured you didn't want to talk to me. I was rude to you and shouldn't have been such a jerk. It is that I've been having a lot of problems. My mom is the only one supporting me through that, and..."

"You should have told me you still have feelings for your ex. I never beg to see you or spend time with you, for that matter. I would have understood."

"No, I don't have feelings for her. I swear. In fact, I was obligated to file for a restraining order on her. She was cyber stalking me and stealing my Facebook contacts. She got in touch with some of my clients and made a scene at work. She threatened to destroy my career."

"What does she want from you?"

"It is complicated. Things went downhill with her and me. I want you to understand that. It is not personal or related to you. If you don't believe me, I can show you the court papers. The hearing is in two weeks, and I hope I have granted. I'm also getting the final divorce. We've been separated for too long."

For a moment, I picture Maroney in that court with his ex-wife and the judge deciding what is best. "Maroney, you don't have to prove me anything. It was better that way. There is a reason for everything."

"Yes, and that's why I'm here. To show you I can fix this." I glance at the door again, and this time I don't see Denver anymore.