Chapter 1

Seattle, WA

It all started with a storm—a birthday celebration that turned out tragic. My father and I moving to Seattle to reunite with my mother.

Among doctor's appointments and a fresh start, a boarding school far from home with a promise of a bright future became my ultimate goal. It all happened too fast, just like a blink of an eye.

Before my departure, all I remember were my mother's last words: "Working hard will help you forget."

But I never did.

>> <<

Madison, WI

Two years later

The morning of August burns my skin as I walk down Capitol Square. People in Seattle never smile, but here, in Madison, is different. It sounds silly, but I will never get used to it. Farmer's Market is just around the corner as the friendly people walking in the streets, smile while eating from the many food trucks and purchasing fair goods.

College is supposed to start in the fall, but instead of moving to the campus crowd, I got a two-bedroom apartment with a kitchen and a bathroom in return for the bad things that happened to me in the past year and a half. Like my life in the two years prior ceased to exist. My mother tells me she wishes me the best and that I deserve to live in a safe space. "No more bullshit," she said. "Working hard will help you to forget."

But can I ever forget?

When I cross the street toward the nearest post office, my purse is heavy over my shoulder. The post office is empty, and I am glad I don't have to wait in line.

"What can I do for you, Ma'am?" an Asian lady asks behind the counter. She removes the bangs from the corner of her glasses, but it doesn't help. They fall back into her sight.

I am silent, trying to come up with the words.

"Do you need any help?" she asks again, and I know I have to make a decision—the same one I have been trying for years.

>> <<

When I get out of the post office, the scent of freshly brewed java from the coffee shop catches my attention immediately.

"Are you looking for a job?" I hear a voice behind me. I was distracted by the small corner nook filled with books and the different shapes and sizes of abstract art selections on the baby blue wall. I was startled even by her friend's tone as I turned around quickly and saw a blonde woman wearing a black apron—nothing unusual.

"Sorry if I scare you," she says.

"How does she know I'm looking for a job?

"I just know. And remember, an interview is the best way to get a free coffee. Free is always good," she smiles. I am still not so used to people smiling at me.

She continues, "I'm Sylvia. The owner." She extends her hands to shake mine, exposing her perfect white teeth. "The girl working over here is Meggie." Meggie smiles from a short distance.

"Cassidy," I say as I shake her hands, sensing her positive vibe.

"So, what coffee would you like for today, Cassidy?"

"Just black. Thank you."

Sylvia pours black coffee into the mug and hands it to me. I bring it to my mouth.

"What do you think?" she asks, as if she was waiting for my approval.

"Good," I say genuinely. I sip one more time, sensing the fruit undertone.

"You're not from here, I assume."

"Washington," I tell her.

"DC?"

"No. Washington State."

Sylvia smiles big before raising her eyebrow, "Really? So you are telling me you came straight from the coffee land." I almost had forgotten about that, but Sylvia is right. Seattle has an extended coffee history.

"Yeah."

"Well. You are hired."

"Just like that?" I ask in surprise. I thought people did background checks, but I guess not in here. I don't have a resume or job history to give in, but I start telling the truth. Her voice tone makes me feel welcome, as if she didn't care at all. I have seen that tone and smile before, even though it didn't turn out to be genuine. I could take her offer right away, but then I would be hesitant.

"When can I start?" I finally ask.

"What about now?"

I can't hide my excitement about finding a job. Plus, I need money. I can't wait to go back to the apartment and tell my roommate, TJ, the only person I trust on the planet.

>><<

After a quick orientation with Sylvia and Meggie, both start chatting.

I don't want to say anything about me, so I change the subject whenever possible, "I like the name of your business. Sophie's Place." Sylvia stopped laughing at my comment, and I wished never to have said anything. "Oh, that's okay, honey. Sophie was my daughter. She died of SIDS when she was a tiny newborn. I named this place after her."

"I'm sorry," I place my hands on my mouth with sadness. I don't know what else to say. The black coffee warmed my hands through the mug, calming me down.

"That's okay, honey," Sylvia assures me. "Sometimes, it is all we can do. I lost her, and there is no replacement. But I found something to keep me going. Sometimes, it is all we have to do. I am here, and I found purpose." Sylvia says as she cleans up the coffee spills from the side of the coffee machine.

But I can't stop feeling bad for Sylvia.