Chapter 57

"Can I ask you a question?" asks Maroney. He is sitting on the couch, picking on the side of his jeans. It is too early, and I barely slept enough hours.

"You did go out last night, didn't you?"

"Yes, we were supposed to do something together, but again things didn't work out for us. What am I supposed to do? Stay home on Saturday night?"

"Of course not. I said I was tired, but that didn't mean I wouldn't spend time with you."

I sigh without knowing what to say. It is almost ten am, and I'm not going to church with Maroney. I'm not doing what my parents told me to do. I'm not doing what Maroney suggested me to do.

"Did you go out with Mr. Square?"

"Who?"

"The boy with puppy eyes."

"I don't really like when you refer to Denver that way, Maroney. He is a person just like you."

"A weirdo who dresses like a teenage boy and wears a tie-dye shirt like those hippie potheads in Madison."

"That's not fair."

"You seem to know him a lot more than I expect, Cassidy. Is that something going on that you haven't told me?"

"Yes, Maroney. Like you never told me you're confused about getting a divorce. You seem to be a nice guy, but things are different right now. It could have been different, but they are now."

"Wow." He says, staring at me. "I didn't expect that...so that means you guys are together?"

"I don't know what we are now. I haven't promised him anything."

"Have you guys..."

"No," I cut him short.

"So, in this case, you can keep going out with both of us at least until you decide who you really want. I know I have better chances than him." He laughs under his breath.

"You seem to have your life together because you live on your own and you're independent. But Denver has something you don't."

"A fucking stalking wife. That I know."

"That, too," I mumble. "In fact, Denver has something else. His soul is different, almost pure, untouchable. I can't explain."

"I don't get what you're saying. It seems stupid."

"Stupid how?"

"I've seen him in college for a while, okay? The type of people he goes out; their style. You're not his style, Cassidy. How can't you see that?"

"What makes you better than him?"

"I could fuck you better than him."

"What the hell, Maroney! What did you just say?" I sense the anger boiling up my head.

"He seems stupid...that's all. I believe in my gut. I know I can do a better job than him."

"This is not a competition, Maroney." I push him away. The anger inside e is boiling, and all I wish is Maroney to go home.

"I'm sorry. I'm jealous. Daniel doesn't seem to be a bad guy."

"Denver," I fix him.

"Okay, let's start over. There is a party next Friday. It is a guy from our Literature class. He lives in a big lake house here in Madison. I want you to go with me."

"Let me think."

"C'mon, Cassidy. I think we had a bad start. I believe we can start over."

I agree we should start over, and ten minutes later, we are laughing about something else completely different. I offer Maroney a mug of coffee, and he follows me to the kitchen and kisses me. I return the kiss, but we are suddenly interrupted by the ring of my cell.