Chapter 32

Inside his vehicle, the cold air coming from the AC hits my knees. By the time we are three blocks away from the stream, the sky is a perfect blue. The dark clouds finally had disappeared. Maroney's mood appears to improve, and he is even curious to know how Mr. Dude is doing after the last incident with the landlord. I tell him that Meggie's neighbor, Vicky, has been back from her trip, and it is probably feeding him chicken and tuna every day. I also tell Maroney that Meggie got away again for missing that dinner meeting at the co-op, but Margo said she wouldn't save her ass next time.

"I live just around the block. Do you mind if we stop there quickly? I need to get my wallet so I can buy something for my mother after I drop you off."

"No, that's fine."

I unbuckle my seat belt as Maroney parks his Volvo in his driveway. Together, we get out of the vehicle as he opens the door to Butter, who jumps down, wiggling his tail as we all come inside his home. The dog practically drinks an entire water bowl and then jumps onto the couch.

Maroney's living room appears completely spotless, with candles spread across the kitchen and living room. He lit one by one as the lavender, cinnamon, and vanilla scent meet my nostrils, replacing the nicotine smell. Abstract paintings hung on the wall, and I try to interpreter the meaning of each one of them.

"I'm going to smoke another cigarette if you don't mind."

He opens the living room window and lights up his cig there, blowing the smoke outside.

"I hope I don't die before my forties," he chuckles, "I've been doing that since I can't remember."

Two big black cats with beaming eyes appear in the room. One approaches while the other only stares at me into the distance.

"They're harmless," Maroney affirms. "They all got along with Mr. Dude, especially Lia, the female cat," he blows another smoke.

"Is she fixed?"

"No. Lia is not spayed."

"Neither is Mr. Dude," I press my lips together.

"Don't worry. Most male torties are females, so Mr. Dude is rare. The reason why there aren't many male torties is that the males are infertile."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm one hundred percent sure M. Dude is sterile. It is just a fact. There is something with their genetic mutation. Plus, Lia is not on her hit."

"Wow,"

A naughty smile surfaces from the corner of his lips. "You can sit down here with me," Maroney grabs my hands, "I don't mind the couch gets a little dirty. I love hot and dirty," he jokingly plays with me. He places his smoked cigarette on the windowsill's ashtray that is filled with ashes and cigarette butts. "Besides, I'm done smoking."

I sit down next to him, trying to remove the cat's and dog's hair out of the way. The house is not that spotless as I'd thought. Up close, I see even the dust floating into the air.

"I know. There is fur everywhere." He says as he entwines his hands with mine softly, "I don't have much time, so in case you're wondering, I think we should kiss while we're alone. Then I will take you home and head to my mother's house. Then I will stop by later."

"I'm not sure I'll bet there," I tell him.

"So better not to miss this opportunity," and just like that, his lips meet mine. They are cold and taste like Coca-Cola and cigarettes. I don't have time to open my mouth, but I don't know what direction to move my tongue when he opens his. He slowly moves his hands over my wet, and I move his hands away. His tongue is dry on my tongue, and his kiss is nothing like Rose and Jack from Titanic, neither Danielle nor Matthew from Girl next door. I know those are two distinct movies to compare, but that's what comes to my mind now.