Chapter 35

In an attempt to lurch out of my bedroom, I run to the kitchen to fix myself a quick breakfast. The smell of scrambled eggs is in the entire apartment as TJ turns off the stove, scraping the eggs out of the frying pan.

The silverware is on the table, along with two plates.

"How was your date with Maroney yesterday?" Right. I had texted him to tell Maroney was on the way to pick me up to take me to the lake with him.

"It was okay."

"That's not the answer I expected," TJ confesses. He removes the bread from the toaster and brings the coffee pot to the table. "By the way, Cassidy, we need to buy more dish soap. I don't have time today." I look at the sink to see the bottle practically empty.

"I will add to my list," I point to the fridge where my to-do list stands.

"The list. You know I'm not too fond of that list here. It just accumulates more cluster around here, but thanks," he laughs as he pours some coffee into his mug, adds four spoons of sugar, mixes it, and then brings it to his mouth. TJ has a sweet tooth.

I smile and bring coffee to my mouth, too. "Better skip the bread," I jokingly say, going for the scrambled eggs. "They seem delicious."

"So, are you going to tell me why your date was okay yesterday?"

"Maroney seems a little...off."

"Off is not good. It means there is something wrong with the guy. Did you give him a Viagra?" TJ cracks a laugh under his breath.

"Not like that, TJ. We didn't get that far. The kiss was... somehow fast?"

"Hum, I still think something is wrong."

"His brother's girlfriend arrived, and then they took me to his mother's birthday.

"Did he take you to his parent's house?"

I nod.

"That's a good sign then. A guy who doesn't care about a girl would never introduce her to his family."

"But then he drove me back home soon after, and I didn't even get time for dessert. He was busy and had a lot going on. But this is not what I want to talk about it."

"What is it?"

I think for a moment, trying to find the right words. "I think I fucked up."

"What do you mean, you fucked up? You are Cassidy. You don't fuck things up."

"The day that I met Meggie at the Bunker..." I want to find the right way to start. "Look, I just need some advice. Mike found me out of the bathroom and put his hands on me. He tried to force me to kiss him, saying he wanted me. Then Meggie was completely out of it, and I didn't say a word to her. He took her home, and it looks like they aren't together anyway, but I still couldn't tell her."

"Cassidy, this is deep shit. You need to tell her now."

The knot is heavy in my stomach, and I can no longer eat the scrambled eggs on my plate. Instead, I play with my fork.

"She'll find out sooner or later. Do you have anything else to add about this jerk?"

"Yes," I tell him. It is hard to find the right words to put out. When I was hired to work as a barista at Sophie's and met Meggie, Mike visited her. She introduced me to him as the new girl in town and went to the back to get some stuff. He asked me a lot of questions I thought it was too personal. It is like he wanted to know everything about me. Since then, he ghosted Meggie for over a month. In the meantime, I received flowers and chocolates at work from an anonymous person. I thought it was from Maroney, but yesterday he confirmed it wasn't him."

"Maybe the Denver guy?"

"But that was before I even met Denver."

"I don't think Mike would go that far, Cassidy. He is not the type of guy who sends flowers, letters, chocolate, or romantic gifts. He is just looking for the next fuck. Girls are always throwing themselves over him, and I'm sorry to break this to you, but your friend is one of them."

"She is in love with him."

"I believe you. And so half of Madison is."

"Did you know about him and Danika?" I hope he can tell me something.

"I don't want to go there, but yes, but that's a different story. She was never in love with him or wanted to have something romantic with him."

"So why did she go for him then?"

"It wasn't like that or the way you think. First, he is a master manipulator. Could you stay away from him? He wanted to know more about you to do with you what he does to the others. But he has nothing on you, so don't worry."

"So, you don't think he is the guy who is stalking me? There are days I feel as I'm being watched when I'm coming from work. I know this is a weird feeling, but..."

TJ stops eating his toast, "I think you are paranoid, Cassidy. You'll be fine. But I think you have to tell Meggie."

"I will," I promise him.

***

I head back to my bedroom to make my bed after breakfast. The walls are thin as I try to ignore the neighbors' voices. I grab my cell phone, a text message from Denver appearing on the screen.

"How are you doing? Ready for camping?"

"Sort of."

I open the window to get some air. The air is thick, with the first drops of rain hitting the ground. Days like that bring me memories of Jason, playing puddle jump, or working on other projects. He was the one who enjoyed writing on rainy days because it kept him busy from the boredom that itched his brain. Those were his exact words. 

***

Vote and comment if you like it :)