Chapter 29

The lights come back after forty minutes, and I'm glad my eyes find the light again. Not that it is uncomfortable being with Denver in the darkness, but because I need direction to move.

"Fuck this blackout," I hear someone drunk shout into the dark house. Next, a familiar handsome boy with olive skin appears in the crowd, "Aaron," Amaya calls after him. He opens his arms to embrace her into a big hug. Luna arrives soon after him and apologizes for coming so late. Mike is still in his spot with the girl sitting by him while Meggie remains in silence.

"Do you need anything, Meggie? Do you want to go home?"

"No, I'm fine," she says.

When I go to the bathroom, I hear Danika and Amaya spreading the gossip to Luna and other girls in the kitchen. The gossip about Mike coming over with someone else.

"But she knew from the beginning he was a jerk," one of the girls say. I'm sure I'd never met him before.

"Yes, I agree. He slept with the entire Madison, including you, Danika."

"It wasn't like that. It is not like it was my choice."

"You had a choice. You just sold yourself to him."

"I don't want to talk about the past," Danika says, annoyed, but then shuts up when she sees me in the hallway. Everyone shuts up.

When I hear the word poor Meggie, I'm wondering whether Mike can hear them, too, into the distance. Amaya speaks too loudly. That's what alcohol does to people.

His new flavor doesn't seem to care a bit —another girlfriend with benefits.

Maybe they are so drunk even to realize how loud they are speaking. When you drink, it is exactly how you feel. If it weren't for Meggie, I'd be sleeping in my bed now, but I came here for her. Deep inside, Meggie knew Mike was coming to this party but hoped he would spend time with her.

She didn't expect he would come with someone else. But it doesn't matter. The girls shouldn't be talking about her like that. Not here. Not now.

"Why are you guys talking about my friend?" I can't believe what I just heard

"She is your friend, but she is too dumb," says one of the girls.

"Don't talk about her like that. Talk about the asshole. He is a freaking asshole, and that shouldn't be her fault."

"I get it, honey. But this isn't the first time. Did she tell you about Bill Salinger?"

"No." That's true. Meggie never mentioned this one, "What about him?"

"I don't want to go into details about him, even because there is no proof of anything and I don't want to be in trouble with Mike and these guys, but if you are her true friend, you must tell her to fucking move on before it is too late."

"I know she needs to move on and that Mike did a favor to bring someone else here. This proves exactly who he is."

"His sister? She runs a business with him in Iowa, where she lives. He comes here only to make more money. You don't understand, do you? He is going to do with Meggie what he did to Kayla, and..."

"Stop," Danika begs, tears in her eyes. I'd never seen Danika crying before, and that didn't fit her personality at all. She locks herself in the bathroom and doesn't get out.

Amaya is the first one to speak, "It is not of her fault, though. Not Danika, not Meggie. Let it go. Cassidy is right. This is not the place to talk about this."

"I was just trying to help it. Don't tell that I'd never tried," the girl says.

My phone vibrates inside my purse. I retrieve the phone and look at the screen. It is Maroney, finally. Denver shows up just in time and takes a glimpse of my screen, but he doesn't say a word.

Sorry, I missed your calls, babe. I was busy with work and left my phone at home. Would you like to go to the lake tomorrow? I'll pick you up at ten.

Sure, I reply.

"Okay, babe. See you tomorrow. I miss you."

I don't reply. I miss you back because I'm not sure how I feel.

"You like someone else, don't you?" I see the pain in Denver's eyes.

"I'm not sure," It is all I can tell him. I didn't come to Madison to start a relationship. I came to start school in the fall and then lose myself in the world. There is no need to dating; to do what most people do is get married and have children. What is the point of starting something with someone when I can just go somewhere never to be found again?

As he gets more punch into his cup, I hear a commotion of people reacting to something that just happened outside. The laser lights are all I can see from the kitchen window. "Let's go," Denver grabs my hand and pulls me outside. Amaya, Luna is already back into the circle of people outside when shouts and yelling begin. Danika finally gets out of the bathroom, her expression in good shape as she'd never cried. She might have placed more foundation and blush on her cheeks and around her eyes because her makeup looks impeccable, her self-confidence back in place.

I could never be like Danika.

"What the hell is going on out there?" she asks.

"Seems like a fight," Denver concludes. It is obvious to be an argument. Not a physical fight. The reason is what we don't know.

We all head outside, where I see Mike's girl soaked with fruit punch, her hair stuck with juice. Her outfit stained with pink and red color is completely ruined.

"What happened?" I ask. Denver's confused expression tells me he wonders the same thing.

"Meggie dumped fruit punch in the girl," Luna says.

"You bitch!" the girl throws her arms into the air. Touching her hair completely soaked in fruit punch, she cries out loud. "What did you do, your psycho? He is my fucking brother. My brother, your psycho!"

"I'm sorry. I didn't...I didn't know," she says.

"Are you insane, Meggie?" Mike tells her, anger surfacing through his eye. Other people approach with napkins and a towel to help her to get cleaned up. Aaron brings Meggie to his side in a way to avoid a physical fight.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know. It was an accident," Meggie apologizes, and then she cries like a child. 

***

Please vote and comment if you like it :)